PDA

View Full Version : Need the low down on home depot wall plates.

jerryrig
07-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Hey guys, I went to home depot and was looking for the ss wall plates that everyone uses at first for a plate design. Anyhow, I did find some ss wall plates, but they were not the covers or switch covers, they were outlet covers and stuff. So, where in the world in home depot do you guys get these ss wall plates, what do they look like, how much do they cost and what kind of package do they come in.

I did find a wall plate that came in a shrink wrapped package for 77cents. They doi not say stainless steel on them, but they do say s304e on the top of the package and they are for wet locations. There was another guy shopping there and he said that he was sure they were stainless. But, any help on this one would be great. Thanks.

daveczrn
07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
plastic bag packaging. You are right that they wern't the easiest to find in there. They were down the isle some from the rest of the outlet covers and wall plates. they were in a cardboard box. the first home depot i went to was out of them. Lowes also carries the same wall plates for $1.29 each.

Find the Stainless outlet covers and switch covers and you should be able to find the wall plate as well.

Painless
07-16-2008, 03:34 PM
I bought some packaged switch plate covers from home depot and they turned out to be aluminum, I took them back.

I went there again today to return the plates and spoke to some of the guys there, they couldn't lead me to any stainless steel plates at all.

I'm going to try Lowes next.

I think the s304e's are the ones I bought, according to the website they are aluminum. Take a magnet with you, if it doesn't stick it's aluminum.

countryboy18
07-16-2008, 03:42 PM
home depot is the worst place to shop compared to Lowes. Lowes is clean, organized, friendly, knowlagable, and cheeper. thats smart thinking bringing a magnet with you shoping!!!

dennis13030
07-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Home Depot is better suited for contractors. Lowes is better for you and me.

daveczrn
07-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Home Depot is better suited for contractors. Lowes is better for you and me.

YES!!!!

There are diffrent types of stainless steel that is non magnetic as well.

dennis13030
07-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Info on Stainless Steel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

daveczrn
07-16-2008, 05:34 PM
and there are also non magnetic stainless steels that you can make magnetic.

scottyhho
07-17-2008, 01:15 AM
If you go to any metal working shop, they will be able to get you some SS realitivly cheap. They probably won't be listed in the phone book. just drive to the industrial section of your town and look for any welding or metal shop. If they don't have any, they should know where to get some. Just ask...

Dewayne
07-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Hey guys, I went to home depot and was looking for the ss wall plates that everyone uses at first for a plate design. Anyhow, I did find some ss wall plates, but they were not the covers or switch covers, they were outlet covers and stuff. So, where in the world in home depot do you guys get these ss wall plates, what do they look like, how much do they cost and what kind of package do they come in.

I did find a wall plate that came in a shrink wrapped package for 77cents. They doi not say stainless steel on them, but they do say s304e on the top of the package and they are for wet locations. There was another guy shopping there and he said that he was sure they were stainless. But, any help on this one would be great. Thanks.

Here is some helpful information about the H.D. wall plates.

The SKU number that is on my receipt is 78007855555.
I'm guessing this is an inventory number 525-513.
The number on the bag the plate is enclosed in is SS13CC25.

I paid $1.59 ea. for them.

Smacks calls for using a center punch to dent the plates. I tried doing the random pattern and that got very time consuming. I took one plate and drew a 3/16" grid on it to use as a pattern. I then stacked two plates together and clamped both of them to the flat side of the vice. These were secured to the vice with two C-clamps. One over each screw hole. I then put a dent at the cross points in the pattern. By stacking two plates the pattern is transfered to the bottom plate. After the top plate is completed use the bottom plate as a pattern for the next plate by stacking one under it. If you are like me the pattern will drift a little as you do more plates. Just eyeball the drift and correct it as you go. I did all my plates (16) in less than 5 hours. Also don't put any dents within a 1/4" of the bend this will help in not deforming the plate.

brotherdoc
07-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Handy box covers are not stainless.

Check your local electrical supply house. I found SS blanks for $.89/ea.

mikestrikes
07-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Lowes and Home Depot is out of them around here............ Hmmmm I wonder why. :rolleyes:

brotherdoc
07-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Lowes and Home Depot is out of them around here............ Hmmmm I wonder why. :rolleyes:

Same here.

HomeGrown
07-21-2008, 09:33 PM
If at all possible, get them from Lowe's. I've heard the ones from Home Depot are slightly magnetic, where as the ones from Lowe's are supposedly a better grade stainless and fully non-magnetic. Grab a magnet from the tool department if you forget to bring one with you. ;)

mikestrikes
07-21-2008, 09:55 PM
If at all possible, get them from Lowe's. I've heard the ones from Home Depot are slightly magnetic, where as the ones from Lowe's are supposedly a better grade stainless and fully non-magnetic. Grab a magnet from the tool department if you forget to bring one with you. ;)

The ones at Lowes says on the back 304ss.......... but they only had ones with the cutouts for plugs or switches.

And Lowes and Home Depot only had the plastic junction boxes, couldnt find one made with glass filled plastic.....

Jaxom
07-22-2008, 05:31 PM
I've been unable to find the blank plates too, so I'm just using the switch covers. You lose a touch of surface area to the switch cutout but at least they're cheap and easy to come by.

humbug
07-24-2008, 04:33 AM
has anyone been able to produce 1.5 lpm or more of hho gas under 30 amps with switch cover

Jaxom
07-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Yes. Preliminary testing of my second design yields about 2.5lpm on an airflow gauge at 12.5v and 18A. I'm not convinced that the airflow gauge is accurate so don't quote me on it.

humbug
07-24-2008, 02:54 PM
can i please see your design. i need to produce atleast 1.5 lpm for my truck. thanks

Jaxom
07-25-2008, 02:02 PM
http://hhoforums.com/showthread.php?p=5146#post5146

humbug
07-25-2008, 05:04 PM
hey thanx jaxom looks really interesting, hopefully you will post some pictures soon, do you know of any other configuration with switch plates that would produce atleas 1.5 lpm with reasonable amp draw i have a 5.7 litre engine to boost

Painless
07-26-2008, 02:43 PM
hey thanx jaxom looks really interesting, hopefully you will post some pictures soon, do you know of any other configuration with switch plates that would produce atleas 1.5 lpm with reasonable amp draw i have a 5.7 litre engine to boost

The Smacks booster claims to produce up to 1.7lpm at 20 amps using switch plate covers, check out this link:

http://free-energy-info.co.uk/Smack.pdf

lawnmowerman
07-27-2008, 12:47 AM
make sure you take off the thin plastic film covering

lawnmowerman
07-27-2008, 12:48 AM
give them a scratch to see if theres a covering

smartHHO
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Was looking at Lowes online after reading this post. Never even thought about using the wall plates. But here is my question.

Lowes posts that their SS is 302. I know everyone has been saying 316. But is 302 worth a darn?

Stratous
07-28-2008, 01:02 PM
I have used the switch plates, they will do fine. 302 is not as resistant to corrosion as 316 and 304, but it will do what you need it to. Just dont use any zinc plated stuff in your generator.