PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar compatibility...?

jm3000x
06-21-2009, 12:13 PM
This may be a dumb question, but are there any potential engine related side effects of running a vinegar wet cell? I have read where you don't get the production you would with KOH, but in terms of engine safety (which is my primary concern) - does anyone know of any inherent problems that could arise from the vapor associated with a strictly distilled vinegar generator?
Thanks!

Hans H
06-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Ya, I've used vinegar with dissappointing results, but I'm going to give it another go with a new electrode assembly; this time 1/16 spacing. It's been said that the vinegar goes with the water vapor into your engine. I noticed that my bubbler water started smelling after a week, so I would change the bubbler/scrubber water regularly... but the bigger issue is probably getting enuf gas production... some guys are modifying the vinegar to get sodium acetate... I tried one of those "formulas" : yuck. Don't give up. Good luck!

jm3000x
06-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Ya, I've used vinegar with dissappointing results, but I'm going to give it another go with a new electrode assembly; this time 1/16 spacing. It's been said that the vinegar goes with the water vapor into your engine. I noticed that my bubbler water started smelling after a week, so I would change the bubbler/scrubber water regularly... but the bigger issue is probably getting enuf gas production... some guys are modifying the vinegar to get sodium acetate... I tried one of those "formulas" : yuck. Don't give up. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply! I've run dry cells for quite a while, but I'm trying to avoid the multi-bubbler setup to keep the engine free of KOH. I figured that if a can work out an electrode stack to get production up with a vinegar cell, it may be more engine-friendly and simpler all around.

Hans H
06-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Yes, I've been thinking that vinegar IS the safe alternative. My new array with ten 12oz 304 cups cranks well at 1/16 spacing and 2 neutrals between hots (at 1/8tsp NaOH per 1/2gal distilled) and with the electrolyte that dilluted there is probably no hazard if I pay attention to heat... but I have to admit that I'm facinated with the dry cell thing now that I've taken the time to watch youtube videos on their assembly and operation. Simplicity is definately the key to promoting ANY of this to friends. Otherwise we may as well save them the trouble of wreaking their engines!

Hans H
06-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Got pretty good results, visually, with 1 cup distilled vinegar in 1/2 gal distilled water, and my tubular (Myers type) electrode array at 15a. That was cold, so less vinegar is probably possible. I've noticed in the past that with vinegar, the amps don't just keep climbing as the temp rises. Will post when I get a test tank set up and can measure flow.

Philldpapill
06-30-2009, 04:54 PM
If you're going to spam about non-related BS, get your grammar right.

Hans H
07-07-2009, 03:53 PM
thanks alot mr. hotstuff... and what are YOU offering everyone on the subject of vinegar? (or any electrolyte... damn, I'll havta watch that spelling!)
Does anyone know about the hydrogen and oxygen production getting reversed (H from the neg electrode to H from the pos electrode) when changing from an alkaline electrolyte to an acid. Is this correct?

Q-Hack!
07-07-2009, 06:36 PM
thanks alot mr. hotstuff... and what are YOU offering everyone on the subject of vinegar? (or any electrolyte... damn, I'll havta watch that spelling!)
Does anyone know about the hydrogen and oxygen production getting reversed (H from the neg electrode to H from the pos electrode) when changing from an alkaline electrolyte to an acid. Is this correct?

The anode and cathode do not change with the application of acid or base. The only thing that will change the production is reversing the polarity.