PDA

View Full Version : You guys seen all those gimicks?

BennyLava
06-23-2009, 05:54 AM
I am talking about those build your own solar panel gimicks. They seem to be everywhere these days. They are like "Build your own solar panels with items from your hardware store, for only $200! But wait! There's more!" blah blah blah... They need to quit giving us alternative energy guys a bad rep. Anyway, is there any truth at all to any of that stuff? If so, what is the bottom line? What is the secret that they wont mention till you buy the book? Im sure it's just some stupid little detail if it even exists. Anyone know? Cause if by some miracle it is real, i want to build one. I always have. I love solar panels.

gashead
06-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I am talking about those build your own solar panel gimicks. They seem to be everywhere these days. They are like "Build your own solar panels with items from your hardware store, for only $200! But wait! There's more!" blah blah blah... They need to quit giving us alternative energy guys a bad rep. Anyway, is there any truth at all to any of that stuff? If so, what is the bottom line? What is the secret that they wont mention till you buy the book? Im sure it's just some stupid little detail if it even exists. Anyone know? Cause if by some miracle it is real, i want to build one. I always have. I love solar panels.

yes it is for real but not for $200. thats only if you can find out of date or chipped solar cells from sources that discard them. then you link all the chipped cells together. i have about 200 watts of cells tied together now in one panel, i will still need many more to do any good, and i have over $200 in this

BennyLava
06-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Hmm. What is a good place to get some used cells, i wonder?

Also, how long does a solar panel actually last? I mean their whole life they got all the elements beating down on them with a vengeance. Maybe 10 years before the sun has destroyed the outer layer?

gashead
06-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Hmm. What is a good place to get some used cells, i wonder?

Also, how long does a solar panel actually last? I mean their whole life they got all the elements beating down on them with a vengeance. Maybe 10 years before the sun has destroyed the outer layer?

they will last around 20 years, i know of a few people that have had them longer than that and they still work. as for a place to get them free? i havent found one yet! if you have a local solar co. call them and ask about panels that have been damaged, or replaced.

BennyLava
06-26-2009, 04:16 PM
So that's what they tell you to do in those books? They don't tell you how to actually make a solar panel? What scammers they are.

gashead
06-27-2009, 11:56 AM
So that's what they tell you to do in those books? They don't tell you how to actually make a solar panel? What scammers they are.

yes they do tell you how to make them.

Philldpapill
06-27-2009, 05:22 PM
LOL I think you may need a good "semiconductor theory" book, a few years of education in semiconductor physics, and some serious manufacturing ability to make a solar panel. Grabbing a solar panel out of the trash, and attaching wires IS NOT making a solar panel. That's re-using an old solar panel. So, yes, they ARE scammers.

I MIGHT be able to make some low quality solar panels, given I could get the resources, but that knowledge is from 6 years of university education and hard work. If you really think an eBook or paperback can teach you how to make solar panels for <$200, be my guest. Just cut me in on the billions of profit you'll make with a revolutionary tech like that.

BennyLava
06-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah they want to make it seem like you will be putting a solar panel together together from parts that you buy from a hardware store for cheap. Now while i don't know about the whole - needing an advanced degree thing, i seriously doubt the parts to make one that's worth having are cheap and readily available. If they were no one would pay an electric bill.

gashead
06-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah they want to make it seem like you will be putting a solar panel together together from parts that you buy from a hardware store for cheap. Now while i don't know about the whole - needing an advanced degree thing, i seriously doubt the parts to make one that's worth having are cheap and readily available. If they were no one would pay an electric bill.

you are right it is not real cheap. like i said before i have $200 in my panel and testing 204 watts. this doesnt provide alot of energy, i probably need $5000 worth to really make a good dent in my power bill ( thats doing them myself) $ 20,000 if you purchace them. but you dont need alot of fancy equipment to build them

BennyLava
06-28-2009, 07:46 PM
How did you acquire the one that you have? And why the heck do new ones cost so much?

hhonewbie
06-28-2009, 10:50 PM
The truth be known the cost of material and manufacturing is very little but you pay a high price for global capitalism(wages/tax,overheads,profits, consultants, CEO's{so much for trying to fix the ressesion when theres still CEOs and people at the top who get paid $100-$1000 an hour for sitting on there ass doin nothing}, etc.). Anything to do with so called free energy will cost you alot more in order to make you wait 5-20years to get the return and start receiving free energy and by that time its too late unless you take it upon yourself(BIY).

gashead
06-29-2009, 04:48 PM
How did you acquire the one that you have? And why the heck do new ones cost so much?

new ones are very expensive. i made mine using chipped cells that have been cut down in size so they fit together snuggly. then soldered the tabs together

BennyLava
06-29-2009, 11:26 PM
So what is the most expensive part? The cells themselves?

gashead
06-30-2009, 10:56 AM
So what is the most expensive part? The cells themselves?

yes, buying new cells can be pricey, finding a damaged panel is hard. thats why i only have 200 watts right now! need many, many more