PDA

View Full Version : tubing? fittings? gaskets?

daveczrn
07-16-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm going to be building my first generator soon and wanted to know what materials i can and cant use. I know to stay away from most metals except for stainless and titanium, but what plastics can or can't i use with it.

The electrolizer that i will be using is NaOH. I like to over engineer my things so that there is a big margin from what the material can handel and what i will be using.

so what types of materials are ok to use with NaOH

countryboy18
07-17-2008, 12:26 AM
most people use the plastic fittings that they sell at lowes. pvc workes with NaOH. if you are going to put the cell under vacuum i sujest braided tubing it cost a little more but it is stronger. what is the config of your cell?

EltonBrandd
07-17-2008, 12:55 AM
PVC and ABS will work fine. Don't use the jar design. It can never be over engineered.

porkchop
07-17-2008, 09:34 AM
I am using brass fittings. They seem to be doing fine right now. Poly tubing is holding up, even on vacuum. It's just what I have been using. Hope to have reassured you. I am a licensed gas fitter, and Gas Measurement Tech. So this is right up my alley.
If you really want to over engineer, get 3/8 SS tubing, 316, seamless, and tube that way. You'll need a bender, and get high pressure SS compression fittings. I use Swagelok.
I checked into clear PVC, it's like 23$ a foot, minimum of 20ft. Needless to say, I scratched that idea. If I could afford that, I wouldn't be on this forum. lol

daveczrn
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
thanks for the idea;s guys. I think i'm gong to stay away from the brass fittings. I don't like having diffrent metals in an acid bath.

Smith03Jetta
07-17-2008, 02:50 PM
I would stay away from the clear vinyl tubing. At the fittings it quickly shrinks and changes color to white. It looks like it's getting too hot or something. I just don't think it will hold up long-term. I started using the white plastic 1/4" water-line tubing instead. I have used some brass fittings. No problems with them. Right now I'm using all plastic fittings except my watertight fitting that vents the gas out of my Pelican case. It is a metal fitting that has a waterproof coating on it. It is working just fine with no signs of corrosion or other damage so far.