PDA

View Full Version : Plate design?

wurkenman
07-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Is there any benefit to having plates with holes versus solid. I work in a fab shop and have access to any and all different types of stainless. How about thickness of plates? Just trying to pick some brains to get the best chamber size in relation to plate config. Thanks in advance. I found this site thanks to Stratous from the DTR forum.

Stratous
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Surface area is the most important part of HHO generation. I have messed with mesh and plates with holes. They will produce very well, but they consume alot of power and get hot very quick. Holey plates provide many places for current leakage which increases heat and power consumption. We want the current to go through the plates, not around or in and out a hole. Does this help?

wurkenman
07-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Yes this helps, I just want as much info as I can get so I don't have to go through some unneeded trial and error. I'm sure there will be enough of that anyway.

countryboy18
07-17-2008, 12:12 AM
so your saying that buying the wall plate covers that have the switch or outlet hole punched out them. that they are worse than the blank ones?

countryboy18
07-17-2008, 11:02 AM
i think that the plates with the holes punched out allows more water to flow around or does it also allow the flow of power to just jump around and not work as good. the plates with the holes punched out are a little cheeper. due to less SS.

Smith03Jetta
07-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Wurkenman: If you work in a Fabrication shop, you may want to make your plates out of 316L stainless. You should probably not use thinner than 22 gauge or thicker than 18 gauge. If you use hydraulic shear on your steel you will have better results than with saw or plasma. Metal cut with saw or plasma cutter will have to be worked over to get the burrs off the edges. Water-cut or laser would be ideal if you have CNC capability. If I were you, I would drill or CNC cut holes on the corners of the plates to fasten the plates together instead of in the center. You have more control over the plate spacing that way. If you are using a PVC pipe, that may prove difficult, however, you may be forced to do a center hole.

wurkenman
07-17-2008, 10:28 PM
No problem with the laser or shear. I can get the plates laser cut with a hole wherever I want it placed. The reason I asked about the plates with holes is we have a bunch of stock with holes or screen type , Just about anything really. Would you recommend a cpvc housing or a stainless one?

Stratous
07-17-2008, 10:30 PM
stainless of course.... make me one while your at it...::p