PDA

View Full Version : will these plates work?

wlf89
07-17-2008, 07:08 PM
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=192291-334-93071-SP-L&lpage=none

will these plates work ok or will the blank one work better? i have not been to lowes yet but i didnt see any blank ones on there website do they have them?do you know how much they are there?i guess they are on the same isle with the plastic covers right?also do they have the nylon bolts and nuts and washers if so are they there in the trays with other bolts or somewhere different thanks alot

Stratous
07-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Yes, lowes has the blank wall plates. At least they do here in my town.

dennyk159
07-17-2008, 11:22 PM
The Lowe's here had the blanks too. Well, at least they did 'til I bought 16 of the 20 they had LOL. I couldn't find any nylon threaded rod, so I used a 4" long 1/4" SS carriage bolt (had to cut a bit off the end) with 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD nylon tubing over it. Then just drilled the wall plates out to 3/8", used SS washers to separate the plates, (where Smack uses jam nuts), then nylon washers to separate the neutrals. By using the SS carriage bolts, I eliminated the bottom strap, since the ends were connected electrically through the bolts. You have to cut the nylon tubing to just the right length, then leave the last plate drilled to 1/4" instead of 3/8". Lowe's was lacking in the SS bolts, Home Depot had a much better selection of bolts, but no SS switch plate blanks. Sorry the pic is not too good. I was just trying to show the size. This was taken about 2 weeks ago when I was using baking soda. I have since changed to NaOH (lye), & the plates have cleaned up somewhat.

fu89
08-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Don't waste your money at Lowes... I got 20 2-gang SS blanks on eBay for $15, new in the packages!!