PDA

View Full Version : How About Waste Bin Stainless Steel?

weisdaclick
07-17-2008, 08:21 PM
I have found a place that is virtually giving away bins like this:

http://www.sabichi.co.uk/sabichi.php?i=80097

How would an electrode made out of something like this fare once it is straightened out?

I am not sure of the grade - any bin experts out there?

Stratous
07-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Thats almost $100 american

dennyk159
07-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Not sure about the grade, but the better ths SS, the less a magnet will stick to it...
Generally you want anything with an L behind it, like 304L or 316L, but it's more $$$.
Take anything you can get for little or nothing...

weisdaclick
07-18-2008, 03:38 AM
Thats almost $100 american

That's just an example for you, it's a lot less than that.

weisdaclick
07-18-2008, 03:41 AM
Not sure about the grade, but the better ths SS, the less a magnet will stick to it...
Generally you want anything with an L behind it, like 304L or 316L, but it's more $$$.
Take anything you can get for little or nothing...

For sure, I contacted a few steel shops around here, the cheapest quote I have found for 316L is £120.

cougar gt-e
07-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Had a friend in the sheet metal business. If you go to a shop ask if they have any "Drops" in the 3-6" wide range. Often they do and they toss them into the scrap pile. You can buy it for scrap price if they have any...

Or you could ask them to make you some plates from drops when they get a SS job in.

Just some ideas kicking around that I thought to share.

Packer fan

dennis13030
07-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Had a friend in the sheet metal business. If you go to a shop ask if they have any "Drops" in the 3-6" wide range. Often they do and they toss them into the scrap pile. You can buy it for scrap price if they have any...

Or you could ask them to make you some plates from drops when they get a SS job in.

Just some ideas kicking around that I thought to share.

Packer fan

This is good info. I wish there was a company on the web that sold scrap SS.

computerclinic
07-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Scrap may come cheap, but beware because you may not get a whole lot of quality material. Most of the time the scrap is a sort of mixed bag of gauge and type, plus it may also take alot more work to get the metal into good shape.

SS is expensive, but it is going to last. My question is which country produces the SS that will hold up to corrosion the longest...Japan, Germany, United States...A chef may be able to tell us from experience on the point of a knife holding its edge...Any ideas?

Stratous
07-18-2008, 10:34 AM
This may sound biased, but american steel is the best.

weisdaclick
07-18-2008, 03:27 PM
My question is which country produces the SS that will hold up to corrosion the longest...Japan, Germany, United States...A chef may be able to tell us from experience on the point of a knife holding its edge...Any ideas?

Getting off topic just a little. The English stuff must be pretty good as they invented it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Brearley

Maybe I can try some places around Sheffield.

We are all trying to save money here, buying the best SS would be nice but may not make sense.

What happens if you use lower grades? Does the SS corrode or use higher amps?