PDA

View Full Version : Circulation through cell

Jaxom
07-18-2008, 12:36 PM
I had an idea that circulating water through the cell would help push the gas out (instead of letting it escape on it's own) and thereby increase efficiency. I saw the same idea mentioned in another thread and was wondering: has anybody actually tried it?

hhojoe
07-18-2008, 04:46 PM
You can either use a pump to circulate the electrolyte or use thermal migration. YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp1Mo_Jh8wA) of my 6th setup

Jaxom
07-18-2008, 04:52 PM
So did it seem to be worth the trouble? Any measurable change in production? Did the cell run cooler with the increased water volume?

I was thinking of incorporating a circulation pump into my second design.

Phantom240
07-18-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm still drawing out what I want to do with my first full-scale generator, but I'm thinking of having a friend of mine build a stainless reservoir tank, with a small electolyzer under the hood (to save space, which is VERY limited), with water/electolyte being pumped to and from it the entire time, so that I can make a smaller cell enclosure, without capacity issues.

u4david
07-19-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm in progress of building laminar flow fuel cell.
this cell is based on watter motion created by hho release .

Plates are nerow (1,5"x8") placed in tube like container, off center closer to the wall.

Whole cell is then positioned horizontally.

Gas escaping is pushing water up words from between the plates setting water in motion.This motion is by the walls of tank routed around back under the cell.

I will use multiple plate configuration 3.2.12 (3positive 2negative 3neutral plates between them all)+nnn-nnn+nnn-nnn+
experimenting with the flow and netral plates quantity and spacing.

SlipperyNinja
07-20-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm in progress of building laminar flow fuel cell.
this cell is based on watter motion created by hho release .

Plates are nerow (1,5"x8") placed in tube like container, off center closer to the wall.

Whole cell is then positioned horizontally.

Gas escaping is pushing water up words from between the plates setting water in motion.This motion is by the walls of tank routed around back under the cell.

I will use multiple plate configuration 3.2.12 (3positive 2negative 3neutral plates between them all)+nnn-nnn+nnn-nnn+
experimenting with the flow and netral plates quantity and spacing.

i saw a video displaying this process the other day...looks totally awesome! no pumps, no dissimilar metals, increase in electrolyte level, increase in mounting options(under some vehicles there's a lot of space), and basically two more layers of protection for your production cell...

hhojoe
07-20-2008, 08:36 PM
So did it seem to be worth the trouble? Any measurable change in production? Did the cell run cooler with the increased water volume?

I was thinking of incorporating a circulation pump into my second design.

After building 5 units, this one was and is my favorite. It runs the coolest and puts out the most hho for its size (that's 2" PVC not 4 or even 3). The Hydro Super 2 and Magdrive Brick are both fully saturated systems and fairly popular. Pretty much followed their lead because I think it is worth the trouble.

Phantom240, what type of car are you putting it in? I ask because the unit in the video is for a Subaru Baja also with very limited space.

Jaxom
07-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I had in mind a remote underhood reservoir with an immersed circulation pump. A 12v marine bilge pump seemed to be a great idea, if it'll handle exposure to the electrolyte. It could be submerged in the reservoir and they are designed to create low pressure and high volume which is exactly what's needed to evacuate the gasses from the cell. The gas bubbles will be pumped out with the electrolyte, back into the reservoir, where they can naturally rise out of the water the way they do in a non-recirculating design. This could also allow the cell to be mounted nearly anywhere in the vehicle, although putting it below the horizontal plane of the reservoir's water level would have it's benifits. You could also make the electrolyzer housing just big enough to fit the cell into it, as you would not need any additional airspace or room for the gasses to seperate from the water. You could probably even mount the cell so that the plates are horizontal since you wouldn't be relying on gravity to pull the gasses from the cell.....that could help a lot with mounting issues, especially for guys building their cells out of 4" PVC (like me.) You'd just need the outlet port near the top of the cell to prevent a gas pocket from forming, and enough flow rate to push the gas off the plates effectively.

Any comments?