PDA

View Full Version : HHO ignition timing?

goroberts
05-29-2008, 04:18 PM
I've not seen this talked about or I've missed it if it was and igntion timing probably needs to be talked about again. In the new vehicles with electronic ignition without a distributor cap to "twist" to change the timing (I seem to recall that in older carorated cars I owned), how does one adjust the timing for the faster burning of the hydrogen or is that taken care of by the car's computer?

gr

h-power
05-29-2008, 10:01 PM
You don't adjust it! On OBD vehicles timing is done electronically and is adjusted by the ECU. If the engine detects any knock(detonation) it will automatically retard ignition timing to compensate.

gasmakr
05-30-2008, 04:18 PM
You don't adjust it! On OBD vehicles timing is done electronically and is adjusted by the ECU. If the engine detects any knock(detonation) it will automatically retard ignition timing to compensate.

Exactly right...fuel, spark, timing all controlled by the computer that's why we need to trick it by adjusting the signal from the map ensor or the oxygen sensor to get the computer to cut back the fuel to compensate for the HHO if you adjust it too lean the knock sensor will tell the computer to retard the timing. Manually adjusting the timing was for older cars without a computer.:)

ashb82
06-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Exactly right...fuel, spark, timing all controlled by the computer that's why we need to trick it by adjusting the signal from the map ensor or the oxygen sensor to get the computer to cut back the fuel to compensate for the HHO if you adjust it too lean the knock sensor will tell the computer to retard the timing. Manually adjusting the timing was for older cars without a computer.:)

i am new to this site but not new to what we call tuning.this is my first post. all that you ever wanted to know about tuning a car is on a website called http://forum.pgmfi.org/. i dont like to mod the map sensor or the o2 sensor for fuel if you look at this site and read till you cant read any more then you understand why.The map your ecu has programed on it(not the map sensor).when you cut the vacum from the map sensor. the ignition map on the ecu will advances the ignition timing. so you say ok well i have a knock sensor i am ok. NO WAY when your ecu reads knock it will pull timing and add fuel to cure the knock .so say no more good fuel milage. you can adjust your cam angle sensor to pull out timing if you have one on your car.but this is not a good fix

nelshaun
06-21-2011, 11:42 PM
I guess that's the problem with new vehicles. Their electronic ignition does not have the distributor cap (http://www.racepages.com/parts/distributor_cap.html) which is vital in changing timing for faster burning of hydrogen.