PDA

View Full Version : Lye?

jerryrig
07-18-2008, 09:35 PM
What is the best electrolyte that draws the most amps? Just curious? Is lye good to use and is it safe to use, and where do you get it? I tired epson salts the other night, I was not very happy with it. Plus, as it goes with the number of cells, what is the best electrolyte to use with only two plates. + and -. :confused:

jimbo40
07-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Whats with the 2 plates.
I don't think you will be very productive no matter what solution you use.

dennis13030
07-22-2008, 10:09 AM
What is the best electrolyte that draws the most amps? Just curious? Is lye good to use and is it safe to use, and where do you get it? I tired epson salts the other night, I was not very happy with it. Plus, as it goes with the number of cells, what is the best electrolyte to use with only two plates. + and -. :confused:

Potassium Hydroxide(KOH) also known as caustic potash is used as a SURFACTANT in many detergents. SURFACTANTS lower the surface tension of water! After doing a good deal of research over 3 months, I am certain that KOH is the best chemical to use in electrolyzers. You only need to add it to the water once. The electrolysis does not deplete the KOH. So when you refill the water in your tank, all you need to do is ensure that your new water is mixed well with the old electrolyte.

rmptr
07-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Potassium Hydroxide(KOH) also known as caustic potash is used as a SURFACTANT in many detergents.

Dennis, IMO THIS portion of your reply is incorrect.

...The caustic properties create the chemical action in cleaning products to break down a grimy substance.
...The surfactants employed enhance the ability of the cleaning product to keep that grime in suspension to remove it from the area of interest.

Plenty of info at Thegrimescene.com or Thechemicalstore.com.

Best

HHOhoper
07-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Potassium Hydroxide(KOH) also known as caustic potash is used as a SURFACTANT in many detergents. SURFACTANTS lower the surface tension of water! After doing a good deal of research over 3 months, I am certain that KOH is the best chemical to use in electrolyzers. You only need to add it to the water once. The electrolysis does not deplete the KOH. So when you refill the water in your tank, all you need to do is ensure that your new water is mixed well with the old electrolyte.

So where/what is the best source to obain this stuff?

ICEMAN.KCMO
07-27-2008, 10:30 AM
what is the mixture ratio of Lye and water???? also, where can you find this potash? any local stores?

msheppa
08-03-2008, 02:09 PM
what is the mixture ratio of Lye and water???? also, where can you find this potash? any local stores?

The ratio for what ever you use is different for each generator. The best way to measure is with an AMP meter. Add a little at a time. With lye, very little. Add until you are pulling between 5 and 8 amps through the generator. The longer your generator runs, the better it runs. The amps will rise. Keep in mind that AMPS & HEAT go hand in hand. The more AMPS, the more HEAT. At 20amps, you will be around 140 degrees F. For those of you useing PVC for your generator, be careful. PVC starts melting at 140F.

ICEMAN.KCMO
08-03-2008, 02:19 PM
I just played with mine today... I ran it for 3 hrs and the temps got up to 170.... they stayed at 150 for a while and then they shot up.... It was pulling under 15 amps...

I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of lye for 1/2 gallon..

also, does output increase with heat???? Heat does speed up molocules.....

Stratous
08-03-2008, 03:04 PM
The more heat the more conductive the water becomes. So, yes heat does allow for increased poduction.

Omega
08-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I would exercise caution when determining how much KOH or NaOH to add to your cell. If you ever boil a generator over, you'll know why.

I would suggest starting with 1/8th teaspoon per quart and run it in the car that way. If the cell stays cool for at least 45 minutes, add another 1/8th teaspoon. Continue to add until the temperature is 150F max, then stop. Go slow with adding this stuff. If you get temperatures above 150F, I think you could easily overheat on long runs or with higher underhood temperatures. If you are hooked up to a vacuum line, the water can boil at as low as 160F (if I recall correctly), one good reason to avoid hooking up to a vacuum line.

As you see the level drop in your generator, you should add only distilled water, not electrolyte solution. Water is being converted to hydrogen and oxygen, leaving the KOH or NaOH behind. IF you add solution the concentration will keep increasing until you get a boiling mess.

Bottom line - Go slow, be conservative.

GOplayer
08-29-2008, 08:10 PM
You were absolutely right! Today I did my first test run after experimenting with HOD Gen in my garage and used 5 ml Sodium hydroxide for each of my two HOD Gen. with approximately 1 qrt Destilled water. The 1st 15 miles the temperature was OK but started to rise and by the 39th mile I had it up to 175F and rising. Tomorrow when I open up the HOD Gen and see the damage (if any) I make sure to start up the 2nd experiment with 1/8 tsp Sodium hydroxide or 1 ml and take it from there. BTW: Where can I get an inline gas meter that works under vacuum? I’d like to measure real time my HHO production so I can start altering the O2 Sensor’s data being send to the MAP sensor. Thanks Z
NEXT DAY when all was cooled down and inspected my HOD Gen: All seemd fine. Can you explain to me why is my HOD Gen won’t work anymore despite the electricity is still present in the electrodes? My first road test brought up my HOD Gen close to 200F before I could turn it off.
Since I cannot get a single bubble out of it. Did the chemical composition of Sodium Hydroxide change? Did some coating preventing my electrodes to work?

DaneDHorstead
08-30-2008, 12:24 PM
I would exercise caution when determining how much KOH or NaOH to add to your cell. If you ever boil a generator over, you'll know why.

I would suggest starting with 1/8th teaspoon per quart and run it in the car that way. If the cell stays cool for at least 45 minutes, add another 1/8th teaspoon. Continue to add until the temperature is 150F max, then stop. Go slow with adding this stuff. If you get temperatures above 150F, I think you could easily overheat on long runs or with higher underhood temperatures. If you are hooked up to a vacuum line, the water can boil at as low as 160F (if I recall correctly), one good reason to avoid hooking up to a vacuum line.

As you see the level drop in your generator, you should add only distilled water, not electrolyte solution. Water is being converted to hydrogen and oxygen, leaving the KOH or NaOH behind. IF you add solution the concentration will keep increasing until you get a boiling mess.

Bottom line - Go slow, be conservative.
I have to agree with the low concentration of Lye, per gallon.

I am constantly reading of people using very much larger concentrations of catalyst, and I don't understand how they don't create a total melt down?

Your 1/8 tsp. per quart, is 1/2 tsp, per gallon. I started with 1 tsp per gallon (sodium hydroxide), and pretty much hit it, on the mark, as it ran a fairly constant 128 F. with moderate output (10 to 11 amps). Some folks (locally), thought I should increase the catalyst, to increase production, so I bumped it by 1/2 tsp, per gallon, but my amps as well as output trippled, by that slight 50% increase.

Note I did not add catalyst to the generator. I instead drained the generator, and remixed the gallon of distilled water, to refil the generatir from.

While it may be incorrect to say my production trippled (I didn't take the time to measure it), as seeing the amp gage hit 30, I shut it down immediately!

But the output did spike, with the amps.

The point is, very little additional catalyst will make a huge difference, and that is not always good.

lhazleton
12-05-2009, 02:40 PM
This is an old thread but worth reviving. These ways of determining the correct amount of KOH is fine for those that are still using wet cells. For a Dry Reactor, 28% KOH is the best way to go. Better production at lower amperage. Plus, you are able to run more bi-polar plates, thus increasing efficiency. I have 32 cells in 4 stacks (+NNNNNNN- per stack). 7.69 MMW drawing only 12 amps. In addition, the cell will never freeze.

yanlapanic
05-21-2010, 03:21 PM
sorry if its an old thread but at 28 % KOH , what is the freezing temperature?

yanlapanic
05-21-2010, 03:24 PM
I found my answer :O '' With a 28% mixture the freezing point is -65* C! '' on this thread: http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=2986

theoldelement
06-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Hello I have been doing some HHO tests and I have found the new 4th Gen of HHO production with Lye. erosion = the best way to go. If you have some old pop or soda cans laying around put that lye and H20 in a glass container it will produce so much HHO you will be-able to run a torch with no problems at all Please note that this is still in testing and is not recommended to any one that is beginning with production with HHO. Also this produces a high amount of heat energy due to the osmosis effect and can involves handle of fatal chemicals. If you would like more info email me at theoldelement@gmail.com Thank you. From The Old Element project ELEMENTFX

pwteng
04-22-2011, 07:17 PM
try a couple tsp of acid from an old car battery

pwteng
04-22-2011, 07:23 PM
it probably shorted out due to temp of electrode check all your wires

frodo2222
03-25-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure what or how you guys are getting so many AMPS with only 1-3 tablespoons. I'm running a 11 plate dry system and with 2.5 bottles of lye of 7 ounces each the most I can get is about 19 AMPS. I have a PWM so I don't have to worry about runaway heat and most of the time it's warm never over 90-100 degrees....granted it's been cold here in Portland 30 low and 55 for the high.

I did put it white silicone in the fittings to seal the slow gas leaks and I think it may be deteriorating it off the walls of the tank and coating the plates maybe? Any ideas as to why it's not running so many amps are surely welcome!!!:)

pwteng
03-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Don't worry about amps if your getting good production

frodo2222
03-25-2012, 08:55 PM
That's the problem I don't seem to see that much production!!:mad:

pwteng
03-25-2012, 09:04 PM
There was a version that used high voltage low amp that worked very well so i think the low voltage approach is limited

frodo2222
03-25-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm using my PWM that also shows the amps and they are around 18-20 at the most