PDA

View Full Version : Neutral plate configuration???

hhonewbie
07-19-2009, 08:50 PM
bath cell configuration:

- + - + - + -

Heat is not an issue for me and can be overcome.

How many neutral plates between would I need for this to run efficiently between 12v and 13v?

Is voltage leakage really an issue that needs addressing? If so any ideas on sealing plate edges to prevent leakage? e.g. Epoxy, high temp silocine etc?

Has any one tried using magnets as neutrals?

Q-Hack!
07-20-2009, 04:07 AM
bath cell configuration:

- + - + - + -

Heat is not an issue for me and can be overcome.

How many neutral plates between would I need for this to run efficiently between 12v and 13v?

Is voltage leakage really an issue that needs addressing? If so any ideas on sealing plate edges to prevent leakage? e.g. Epoxy, high temp silocine etc?

Has any one tried using magnets as neutrals?

If you are wanting efficiency then I recommend a dry cell and not a bath cell. However since you specified bath we will go with that.

Preventing stray currents from the plate edges is everything. There are several substances that sort of work for sealing edges. My recommendation now is the loctite marine epoxy. It holds up well during electrolysis in both NaOH and KOH.

For a 12 volt vehicle, you want 5 neutrals between your anode and cathode plates. You only need 2 volts per plate gap to create HHO. Anything else is wasted as heat. This means you want +|||||- or if you want to string them together like +|||||-|||||+|||||- This gives you more surface area to create HHO.

There was someone who was testing with magnets on the forum many moons ago. Not sure if he was using them as neutrals though. A quick search through the archives might help.

hhonewbie
07-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Thanks Q-Hack,
The cell I want to build is vertical with horizontal plate setup with 5 neutrals would total 37 plates. Plates are 316ss 50mmODx3mm washers with nylon washers for insulaters housed in a 10inch water filter housing. Electrolyte will be recirculated by diaphram pump and cooled via SS radiator/fan. Header tank and float switch for auto top up.
i.e. -NNNNN+NNNNN-NNNNN+NNNNN-NNNNN+NNNNN-

Q-Hack does the loctite marine epoxy hold up to heat?(wouldnt it seperate from the SS?)

Any help with this is much appreciated.

Q-Hack!
07-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks Q-Hack,
The cell I want to build is vertical with horizontal plate setup with 5 neutrals would total 37 plates. Plates are 316ss 50mmODx3mm washers with nylon washers for insulaters housed in a 10inch water filter housing. Electrolyte will be recirculated by diaphram pump and cooled via SS radiator/fan. Header tank and float switch for auto top up.

Q-Hack does the loctite marine epoxy hold up to heat?(wouldnt it seperate from the SS?)

Any help with this is much appreciated.

The good thing about using the +NNNNN-... config is that once you seal the edges, it will never get above about 110 degrees Fahrenheit... on a hot day. Just make sure that the surface area you plan to stick the epoxy to is clean. I usually wipe it down with acetone or something to make sure all the greasy finger prints are removed.

Here are a couple of pic's from an early test I did to seal the gas and electrolyte holes in the plates. I did this by placing the plate on a flat surface with a piece of Saran wrap between and then put a couple drops of epoxy in the hole. Then I just sanded flat with 220 grit sandpaper. Drilled out a slightly smaller hole to leave a small ring of epoxy. Works great to electricity seal the hole.

http://www.hhoforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1143&d=1234113816
http://www.hhoforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1144&d=1234113824

hhonewbie
07-21-2009, 06:21 PM
The wet cell I want to build is vertical with horizontal plate setup with 5 neutrals would total 37 plates. Plates are 316ss 50mmODx3mm washers with nylon washers for insulaters housed in a 10inch water filter housing. Electrolyte will be recirculated by diaphram pump and cooled via SS radiator/fan. Header tank and float switch for auto top up.

Q-Hack do you have to seal all the plate edges or just the anodes/cathodes? Have you had any improvements with MPG(petrol or diesel)?

Q-Hack or anyone, any queries, corrections or improvements on my cell build? Don't hold back give it to me straight up.

Q-Hack!
07-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Q-Hack do you have to seal all the plate edges or just the anodes/cathodes? Have you had any improvements with MPG(petrol or diesel)?

Q-Hack or anyone, any queries, corrections or improvements on my cell build? Don't hold back give it to me straight up.

Yes, you want all plate edges covered, even the neutral plates. If you think about how a dry cell is put together, you will notice that all of the plate edges are outside of the unit and thus not able to conduct stray currents. This is why dry cells are preferred over bath type.

Unfortunately, I can tell you lots about building a really efficient cell... not how to get good mpg from it. Both of my vehicles (Saturn VUE and Ford Focus) saw absolutely no gains from HHO. I could get a small gain from the EFIE, but I saw those gains with or without HHO. Even with 4 LPM going to the engine I couldn't get the gains other people seem to get. YMMV.

hhonewbie
07-25-2009, 12:58 AM
Would sealing the edges of plates in a wet cell work to stop leakadge??

Anarchangel
11-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Is there a sense in building a cell where relation between anode and cathode (or reversed) is 3 to 4? If there is a sense, which one is better to add, anode or cathode (apparently, anode attracts hydrogen and cathode attracts oxygen)?
I am just building my cell and I just found out about importance of neutral plates (thank you for that), I had 28 stainless steel (430) plates, but because what I found out in here, I am planning to buy at least 3 more plates (and adjust my existing cell:)). I am wondering if I should buy the same steel, or maybe I can buy something better and use it as cathode/anode, whichever is better to have in a cell?

Q-Hack, did you used anything in your cars, that tricked the computers to give less fuel to the engine? If not, I can share my ideas/suggestions with you, as soon as I will put together my HHO installation.

lhazleton
11-08-2011, 04:54 PM
You'll need 1 more plate to make the reactor 28 cells, 4 stacks (-NNNNNN+NNNNNN-NNNNNN+NNNNNN-). 430 S/S won't work very well, you need at least 304 buy preferably 316L. Don't mix steel - same kind for everything.
Q-Hack hasn't been here since June of 2010.:rolleyes:

Anarchangel
11-09-2011, 02:53 PM
You'll need 1 more plate to make the reactor 28 cells, 4 stacks (-NNNNNN+NNNNNN-NNNNNN+NNNNNN-). 430 S/S won't work very well, you need at least 304 buy preferably 316L. Don't mix steel - same kind for everything.
Q-Hack hasn't been here since June of 2010.:rolleyes:

hmm.. could you explain me why? I thought that "Titanium MMO Anode" would be excellent material for anode/cathode and SS could be a neutral ones ..I have seen some dry cells for sale like that ...unfortunately "Titanium MMO Anode" is far too expensive. But, as I have got already SS 430 - I want to use them and turn all of them to neutral, and buy only SS 316 for anode/cathode although, yours "Don't mix steel" left me confused ...what is wrong with anode/cathode being different SS than neutral plates?

five neutrals give me 2.4V on plate which is ideal for me

MapleSmape
03-05-2012, 08:55 PM
hmm.. could you explain me why? I thought that "Titanium MMO Anode" would be excellent material for anode/cathode and SS could be a neutral ones ..I have seen some dry cells for sale like that ...unfortunately "Titanium MMO Anode" is far too expensive. But, as I have got already SS 430 - I want to use them and turn all of them to neutral, and buy only SS 316 for anode/cathode although, yours "Don't mix steel" left me confused ...what is wrong with anode/cathode being different SS than neutral plates?

five neutrals give me 2.4V on plate which is ideal for me

When you use 2 different metals for electrodes, one will always leech a bit to the other one. Check out noble metals and how they effect each other in electrolysis
cheers