PDA

View Full Version : not making hho

vette84
07-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi everyone I am new at this i have build my first hho fuel cell. I am making bubbles but don't seem to be making any gas my plates are pretty thick. I am using about a 1/2 gal. of water and a bout 2 1/2 to 3 tsps of baking soda. It's in a piece of 4 inch pvc pipe about 10 inches tall. my plates are +nnnn-nnnn+ any help would really be nice do i need more baking soda by the way the water is destiled water. I hooked it up to a car battery I have in my shop. The ss plates are about an 1/8 inch thick.

oicu812
07-20-2008, 12:23 AM
baking soda is makes a poor electrolyte. I use naoh , its also called lye. you must be carefull with it. use gloves and safety glasses. one drop in the eye and your blind in that eye. that being said it can be handeled safely. I use 2 teaspoons in a inline house filter. i'm getting about 1 litre a minute at startup at 10 amps and almost 2 litres after about 45 minutes running at 20 amps. temperature levels off at around 160 degrees. its 6 plates 2 inches by 5 inches in a +NNNN- configuration. 1/4 inch tube goes to a bubbler than a check valve than a flash arrestor and finally my torch tip. it produces a 1 inch flame that melts gold and silver pretty quick. I can put a hole in a penny in about 5 seconds. thin steel wire gets white hot and melts instantly. I have a tough time with thick steel because of the fine tipped torch, it seams to lay down a fine coating of water on the work surface. its the hydrogen and oxegen reforming back to water as it burns. I plan on banking 4 generators together and see if I can get a four inch flame and higher pressure at the torch tip to blast through steel plate.the flame is bluish at the torch tip and then almost clear 1/2 inch out.

dennis13030
07-20-2008, 01:35 AM
vette84,

How many Amps is it drawing?

EltonBrandd
07-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Hi everyone I am new at this i have build my first hho fuel cell. I am making bubbles but don't seem to be making any gas my plates are pretty thick. I am using about a 1/2 gal. of water and a bout 2 1/2 to 3 tsps of baking soda. It's in a piece of 4 inch pvc pipe about 10 inches tall. my plates are +nnnn-nnnn+ any help would really be nice do i need more baking soda by the way the water is destiled water. I hooked it up to a car battery I have in my shop. The ss plates are about an 1/8 inch thick.

Check the voltage of the battery, how many amps is it drawing? And do you mean its not bubbling from the output hose? Or are you saying that the bubbles are not producing hydrogen gas? If you have any leaks they will quickly reduce your output with no visible leaks. I dunk my entire unit under water in a bucket then fire it up and check for leaks.

vette84
07-20-2008, 10:45 AM
I am getting about 10 amp the best i can tell. None of my screw holes are sealed and my cap is not sealed yet neither do ya think that i am losing the hegen around the screw holes and around the cap. I am getting alot of bubbles from the plates when I was sticking the tube in a jar of water I was getting no bubbles in the jar do ya think that I am losing the gas around the screw holes and the cap.

dennis13030
07-20-2008, 12:15 PM
I am getting about 10 amp the best i can tell. None of my screw holes are sealed and my cap is not sealed yet neither do ya think that i am losing the hegen around the screw holes and around the cap. I am getting alot of bubbles from the plates when I was sticking the tube in a jar of water I was getting no bubbles in the jar do ya think that I am losing the gas around the screw holes and the cap.

It does sound like you have some gas leaks.

Try this.
1. Empty the electrolyzer.
2. Seal the electrolyzer.
3. Submerge the electrolyzer under water.
4. While the electrolyzer is under water, blow into the output tube.

If you are getting bubbles coming out of the electrolyzer, you have leaks where the bubbles are coming out. Fix the leaks, allow the sealant to cure, start again at step 3 until there is no leaks.

pj91gsx
07-20-2008, 12:40 PM
where can I get lye?

EltonBrandd
07-20-2008, 01:07 PM
where can I get lye?

Soap making supply, basically on-line is the easiest way to save gas and frustration. Look up Potassium Hydroxide and you'll find plenty of vendors.

vette84
07-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Hey i done a leak check on my hho gen an I had more leaks than the titanic. Got them fixed an now gas started out at 10 amps in 15 mins I am at 13 amps and more gas coming out i still have a few leaks around my top but don't want to seal it yet but I got a 1/4 inch hose under water and it seem to be bubbling pretty good have not really check to see how much. I will let ya more as I keep it checking and thanks for all the help!

Stratous
07-20-2008, 07:52 PM
where can I get lye?

Home Depot or Lowes has lye. It comes as the active ingrediant in some drain cleaners. They call it Sodium Hydroxide or caustic soda. In Lowes in come in a white plastic container about 6" tall and as big around as a tennis ball. It called Roebic crystal drain cleaner and contains 100% sodium hydroxide.