PDA

View Full Version : Space between plates

midnight1957
07-20-2008, 01:55 AM
I have seen some say that you need 1/16 inch between plates and others say 1/8 inch. Which is best?

Also I have seen that some say that you need to close off the ends of the plates so it can force the gas between the plates, is this needed to make more hydrogen? What could you use maybe high temp silicon?

Thanks and have a Blessed day,
Wade

dennis13030
07-20-2008, 02:06 AM
I have seen some say that you need 1/16 inch between plates and others say 1/8 inch. Which is best?

Also I have seen that some say that you need to close off the ends of the plates so it can force the gas between the plates, is this needed to make more hydrogen? What could you use maybe high temp silicon?

Wade

Plate spacing? On one hand it is better to minimize the spacing some you can get more plates within the electrolyzer. On the other hand, you do not want to interfere with bubbles rising or with water entering between the plates. Some say 1/8"(0.125") is great. My next electrolyzer will use 1/10"(0.100") spacing.

Sealing the plate edges seems to produce more gas. It is believed that without sealing the edges, there is some electrical leakage currents that reduce the gas making efficiency. I've heard the "marine" sealant works best.

EltonBrandd
07-20-2008, 02:23 AM

Wade

I space the plates 1.5mm, if you space them closer your amperage will be increased. The common way to seal the edges is accomplished by wrapping the entire set of plates with some sort of shrinking material like shrink rap. Goop doesn't stick to SS for very long.