PDA

View Full Version : Flow meters

Llew2_1
08-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Does anyone know how to make a simple flow meter and how to calibrate it.
Also does anyone use a " standard water gauge " to indicate pressure in the HHO generator. And how to calibrate it. I used both these items when working on hover craft, but can't remember how I did it. It was 40 years ago :)

Roland Jacques
08-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Does anyone know how to make a simple flow meter and how to calibrate it.
Also does anyone use a " standard water gauge " to indicate pressure in the HHO generator. And how to calibrate it. I used both these items when working on hover craft, but can't remember how I did it. It was 40 years ago :)
I'm not sure what you mean by "standard water gauges"
There are pressure gauges that measure in "Inches of water" (about 27" H2o =1 PSI) You can buy them and they usually and come calibrated +/- 1%. or you can just stick a hose in a column of water and see how far below the surface of the water the air goes and that's your number ( if the air pushes 13.5" below the surface that's 13.5" H2o or 0.5 PSI.

You have already seen the bottle method. what kind of flow meter do you want?
You calibrate a velocity flow meter against the actual volume/time. That is why a the bottle method is so accurate your measuring actual volume over time. It is the actual volume at atmospheric pressure. The gas temperature is the thing that will give you a variable that you would have to compensate for.

thedore
05-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Check this flowmeter out.

http://sitesearch.jrsmedical.com/results.php?keywords=flowmeter

lhazleton
05-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Ted,
Flow meters made for oxygen won't work properly. Hydrogen is the lightest gas, where oxygen is one of the heavier gasses. The readings would be totally inaccurate.

thedore
05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
True but it should be easy to calberate one.

cabrera
05-25-2010, 09:47 PM
I bought an in line oxygen meter just for this purpose & found out 1st hand exactly what lhazleton said.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cAsxxXGAX5U/SyuUq81JBhI/AAAAAAAAAGA/tXHUiR9NG0w/s400/OXY+mete.jpg

Calibrating a meter might be possible, if you were to spend some big scratch on a unit. Anything manual doesn't work

Roland Jacques
08-26-2010, 07:03 PM
True but it should be easy to calberate one.

No, you can not calibrate it. You can determine a "correction factor" for it. the one you show is good for ball park O2. Dwyers Instruments has already done that for their low end Flow Meters (there low end flow meters are 10 time more accurate than the onew you show) the RMA Series. But still they are not as accurate as the bottle method. Now they do have some electronic flow meters that can be calibrate for HHO. But your talking big$$$

jwhhopower1978
11-30-2010, 06:07 PM
are there any good "flowmeter" for hho??

Roland Jacques
12-01-2010, 07:05 AM
are there any good "flowmeter" for hho??
Yeah, But it realy depends how accurate you what to be, AND how much money you are willing to spend.

For the sake of refferance, endometer are the most practical. The bigger you make it the more accurate your measurements will be. If you want to compare your cells performance to others you need to be using the same method of testing.