PDA

View Full Version : It works!

bat
07-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi all,
I completed my first generator yesterday and it works!
Mine is spiral and in a 12"X4" pvc container. The core has 8 winds + and 8 winds -.
I was concerned about leakage since the cap is just pipe thread, (no seat), so I wrapped it about 8 times with teflon tape.
I then submerged it in a bucket and put 40psi in it from my air compressor.
I small leak repair and I was good to go.
I was running (on the bench) 12.86 volts and a draw of 12 amps. I swear I am getting a bubble a second, though I havnt measured it yet.
I am using three teaspoons baking soda to a gallon of distilled water.
My core is wound with 308 ss wire, doubled and hand wound.

I still need to make my bubbler and then I will install it in my 1981 VW Caddy with a 1.6 diesel. I track my mileage to the tenth, so I should know results right away.

Wonderful help and advice here. I hope one day I can contribute.
Thanks

Stratous
07-20-2008, 07:48 PM
keep us posted

bat
07-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi,
Yesterday I did 3 volume tests and I am getting between 5 and 6 ml per minute with a 3/8th hose from the generator.

Today I ran the hose to my bubbler, then to another container of water (all 3/8ths) and ran it for one hour.

It got warm to the touch, but not hot. The ambient temperature was above 90 where I'm setup. I have a sight tube on the generator, my electrolite remained clear, and I am getting a bubble a second. At 30 mins I checked my bench battery and I had 12.45 volts with an amp draw of 12. I checked three times.

I'm wondering if I should increase my baking soda a little. I'm now using 3 tsp to a gallon of distilled water.

I was anxious to start and could not find 304 or 316 wire and I let the clerk talk me into 308. I've not seen 308 mentioned here, so did I screw up?

Thanks for the input......

EltonBrandd
07-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi,
Yesterday I did 3 volume tests and I am getting between 5 and 6 ml per minute with a 3/8th hose from the generator.

Today I ran the hose to my bubbler, then to another container of water (all 3/8ths) and ran it for one hour.

It got warm to the touch, but not hot. The ambient temperature was above 90 where I'm setup. I have a sight tube on the generator, my electrolyte remained clear, and I am getting a bubble a second. At 30 mins I checked my bench battery and I had 12.45 volts with an amp draw of 12. I checked three times.

I'm wondering if I should increase my baking soda a little. I'm now using 3 tsp to a gallon of distilled water.

I was anxious to start and could not find 304 or 316 wire and I let the clerk talk me into 308. I've not seen 308 mentioned here, so did I screw up?

Thanks for the input......

Are you using wire like the w4gas setup? If so you have way too little surface area. If you use 1/4 tube you will get more bubbles, just not anymore gas. If you are using wires the good news is that your housing should work for a plate setup.

bat
07-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Yes, its a spiral core, .035 308 doubled and hand wound. The core is acrylic and 8 1/2 inches long. I have been studying the plate systems here and hope to try that next, soon as I get the courage to try it, lol.
Thanks for the input

EltonBrandd
07-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Yes, its a spiral core, .035 308 doubled and hand wound. The core is acrylic and 8 1/2 inches long. I have been studying the plate systems here and hope to try that next, soon as I get the courage to try it, lol.
Thanks for the input

The w4gas is really spreading like fire. Every day it seems like another person comes here and asks for advice on how to make it work better. I'm included in one of those peoples. The way the w4gas markets all its components make it seem as if it is the "industry standard". How untrue that is! To make a plate design is way easier than the ridiculous parts list that w4gas specifies. I'm not putting anybody down for trying w4gas, its actually an important step in the learning process. My first unit produced so little gas that I added 6tsp baking soda to see it work. A few minutes of it running and the wires got so hot that they melted the stupid $20 acrylic tower I begrudgingly bought. Right then and there I scrapped the idea and moved to a plate design. I have had great success with minimal investment compared to the jar design. Here is a link to plans that I (and many others on this board) have found to be a great entry level set up. http://smacksboosters.110mb.com/Smack.pdf

Smith03Jetta
07-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Hi,

I know you are trying and I applaud you for it. You should, however be producing at least 100 times more gas/minute to see any results.

I saw no real results until I was producing 700 ml per minute.

bat
07-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks for the info.
I printed the smack instructions and I'm going to try it.
When I finally get to the install that part should be easy since my VW caddy is an 81 1.6 diesel. As far as I can tell there are no tattletales on it. Its non turbo also.
I drive little highway but when I do I'm getting close to 50mpg and around town I get 38mpg without trying.
On the smack, I'm wondering if shrink tube can be used instead of shrink wrap. Should have the same benefits if it holds up to the electrolite.
Thanks again.

Stratous
07-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Shrink tubing will work just fine.

bat
07-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Not every spiral is water4gas. I didn't like the w4g setup, but I cloned one I saw on youtube by h20fueltechnology. Thats why I am using 4" pvc instead of a mason jar.

Unfortunately I found it before finding this forum. I could not find (with my limited knowledge) any through explanations on how to build a plate system until I came here.

Building the spiral has been a good experience however and I am happy with the results so far, though it isn't a big producer. 5 to 6 ml a minute on my first try.

I downloaded the smacks manuel yesterday and ordered the parts from McMaster Carr for my next endeavor.....So stand by, this old boy will probably need more help, lol.
Thanks

BoyntonStu
07-25-2008, 12:06 PM
I know you are trying and I applaud you for it. You should, however be producing at least 100 times more gas/minute to see any results.

I saw no real results until I was producing 700 ml per minute.

700 ml/min and what if any efie or o2 changes?

Do you expect more results at 1.4 L/min?

What was your before/after mpg?

BoyntonStu

bat
07-26-2008, 12:13 AM
I havn't installed anything yet, but when I do it's going into an 81 VW Caddy Diesel, 1.6 liter.

I've been playing with the electrolyte and I'm now producing more gas (havn't measured yet)but my amps went from 12 to 22.

I'm in the battery business, so I set one of my chargers to 13.6 volts and hooked it to my bench battery to get as close to operating conditions as I can.

I know spirals aren't real popular, but I am pleased with my first effort at this.

Building a Smacks is next soon as my parts come in. Got my ss plates from Home Depot today, now I need to find a bit or a tapered ream to open up the holes in them. No one around here seems to have a 15/16 bit for stainless.

EltonBrandd
07-26-2008, 02:23 AM
I haven't installed anything yet, but when I do it's going into an 81 VW Caddy Diesel, 1.6 liter.

I've been playing with the electrolyte and I'm now producing more gas (haven't measured yet)but my amps went from 12 to 22.

I'm in the battery business, so I set one of my chargers to 13.6 volts and hooked it to my bench battery to get as close to operating conditions as I can.

I know spirals aren't real popular, but I am pleased with my first effort at this.

Building a Smacks is next soon as my parts come in. Got my ss plates from Home Depot today, now I need to find a bit or a tapered ream to open up the holes in them. No one around here seems to have a 15/16 bit for stainless.

I think you mean 5/16" bit. Also you'll need a 37/64" drill bit along with a 3/8 pipe thread tap if you use 3/8 tubing. If your pulling 22 amps with the tower it will melt soon. Most drill bits will work fine with the switch covers because they already have holes drilled.

bat
07-26-2008, 02:10 PM
I stand corrected...I meant to say 5/16.
You have my curiosity up now because the smacks system says he runs at 20 amps and his is in a pvc container. Is the heat that much higher @22 amps?

EltonBrandd
07-26-2008, 04:14 PM
I stand corrected...I meant to say 5/16.
You have my curiosity up now because the smacks system says he runs at 20 amps and his is in a pvc container. Is the heat that much higher @22 amps?

I'm talking about your acrylic tower. The wires get hot and will melt it.

Dewayne
07-26-2008, 06:10 PM
I just powered up my generator.

At this time I have it where it is pulling 10 amps (that's all my meter will read, Waiting of a new one.)

I'm getting about 300 ml per min (cold) @ 10 amps. Does anyone have a feel what my output may be @ 18amps?