PDA

View Full Version : First time smack cell builders

scirocco
07-21-2008, 12:53 AM
My first post, hello all, scirocco here, VW were my first cars, handle still sticks to me.

Now 95 Firebird 3.4L trying to give a better mileage life to.

So after looking around forever to find parts, (most local, some www), I manage to put together a cell.

Latest test .3lpm. roughly 25amps

Tried Lowes SS 5/16 nuts, put everything together, won't fit a 4" pvc pipe. Ground down the surfaces of all 20 nuts, fits like a glove. Using West Marine washers which look like the right thickness . All plates are touched with an angle grinder, outer plates are insulated with Plasti Dip, as per smack reference, getting really crappy lpm. Any ideas about where to start inprovements?

Some questions?

How important is punching the plates with dents?

After recleaning the fingerprints ( :) ) off of everything, with brake parts cleaner as apposed to hot dishwashing soap, will it make much of a difference?

Using sodium hydroxide as electrolyte.

Cooper 304SS cover plates as cells.

I know I did something wrong, just don't tell me it was everything :)
Only I could screw up a smack boost!

Ideas Gentlemen and Ladies?

Off point, are there no HHO ladies out there?

bat
07-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Scirocco,
I'm about to begin building my first smack cell. I believe I saw in the manual there is a breakin period for the plates discussed if I recall.

I ordered my nuts and washers from McMaster Carr by the suggested part number because the manual says the spacing is critical.

I am in the process of punching my plates now "cause smack says so" LOL.

Its a pain in the rear to do, but worth the effort in my humble opinion.

Mine, when completed is going into an 1981 VW Rabbit Caddy diesel. Already gets great mpg's, hoping for fantastic mpg's.

Good luck
Bat

daveczrn
07-30-2008, 10:30 AM
definatly sounds like something is not connected right. Got any pictures of your cell? did you modify the smack design any? do you have a meter to measure voltage and amps?