PDA

View Full Version : High Temp Terminals - Heat Issues

mp3ian
07-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Hi all,

This is a my first post on the forums from all the way down under (Australia). I finished my first HHO cell today and although it is my first, I put a lot of R&D into this. I have only done one test with it so far and it is currently producing about 700ml per minute at cold using 1 teaspoon of caustic soda as the electrolyte into 1.5L water and no PWM - blew my ammeter up last year so not sure of the current yet. I am expecting around the 1.1-1.3Lpm mark at operating temp. I was very impressed with this for my first attempt.

However, my problem is that I am unable to test it at running temp, i.e. warmed up as my terminals heat up to much, so much so that the PVC lid goes soft around the terminals.

My terminals are 1/4" 316 SS bolts. I have two lenghts of 316 SS rope (approx 3-4mm diameter) connecting these bolts to the anode and cathode connections on the cell. If I connect the terminals to the battery with a pair of jumper leads for instance, the bolts get very hot after about 2-3 minutes of use (too hot to touch). How can I go about alleviating this problem?

Any suggestions are warmly welcomed (no pun intended).

bigapple
07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi all,

This is a my first post on the forums from all the way down under (Australia). I finished my first HHO cell today and although it is my first, I put a lot of R&D into this. I have only done one test with it so far and it is currently producing about 700ml per minute at cold using 1 teaspoon of caustic soda as the electrolyte into 1.5L water and no PWM - blew my ammeter up last year so not sure of the current yet. I am expecting around the 1.1-1.3Lpm mark at operating temp. I was very impressed with this for my first attempt.

However, my problem is that I am unable to test it at running temp, i.e. warmed up as my terminals heat up to much, so much so that the PVC lid goes soft around the terminals.

My terminals are 1/4" 316 SS bolts. I have two lenghts of 316 SS rope (approx 3-4mm diameter) connecting these bolts to the anode and cathode connections on the cell. If I connect the terminals to the battery with a pair of jumper leads for instance, the bolts get very hot after about 2-3 minutes of use (too hot to touch). How can I go about alleviating this problem?

Any suggestions are warmly welcomed (no pun intended).

i believe u could decrease the amount of lye used in ur solution and u can add neutral plates to ur plate arrangement to take some of the excess voltage that is causing a heat buildup

Stratous
07-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Increase the size of your wire. Increase the connection area on your input post. Increase the size of your wire eyelets. Decrease the amperage. The first thing I would do is increase your input terminals to 5/16 SS bolts instead of 1/4. I would use 8 gauge wire or larger with good connection terminals using washers and nuts to secure them to the input terminals. Poor connection is probably your culprit for the heat.

scottyhho
07-22-2008, 09:40 PM
how about using brass bolts??