PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Connectors for Electrodes

mp3ian
07-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Hi all,

I got my cell working today with great results...approx 700ml gas per mintue at cold with 1.5L tap water and about a teaspoon of caustic soda.

11 plates +N-N+N-N+N- with 316 stainless steel rope connecting to the electrodes. I connected the wire by wrapping some of the strands around the stainless bolts however there is some serious heat build up at the connections. So much so that the PVC lid started to melt around the bolts.

What do people use to connect the electrodes to the external teminal? Are there any stainless options here thatn will fit around 4mm stainless rope?

computerclinic
07-21-2008, 09:09 AM
You may want to try modifying your plates to accomodate a solid nut and bolt config. The heat is building up due to resistance in the connections from your terminals to the plates.

Electricity flows like water in a garden hose. Putting your thumb over the end of the hose causes the water to come out faster and well, the pressure that your finger feels translates into heat within the path of electricity.

The power is conducted through the terminals and is being forced into a different size "hose" in its travels to the plates. By connecting solid nut and bolt hardware to your plates, and using them as the terminals should eliminate the excess heat you are getting.

daveczrn
07-21-2008, 10:06 AM
something i know some of the guys are doing is they are using either a plate thats cut down or just stainless bar that is easy enough to bend into the shape they need to go from the electrodes to the case.

Johnh
07-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi all,

What do people use to connect the electrodes to the external teminal? Are there any stainless options here thatn will fit around 4mm stainless rope?

You should be able to find nickle plated earth terminations from a electrical supply place. they are similar to a crimp connector but the cable wraps right around the bolt and the terminal wraps around the cable.
They are sort of like a donut when they are wrapped around the cable.
Maybe a bit difficult with wire rope but should be possible.
The other alternative is to use flat straps in place of the rope.
John