PDA

View Full Version : grade/type/finish of stainless steel recommended?

slimk
07-21-2008, 02:17 PM
from whats available in retail stores whats the best grade to get, i'm seeing a lot of things that are 18/10, what does that mean?

should i just bring a magnet to the store and test them all lol?

what finish should i be looking for, obviously not clear coated or anything, but is brushed steel better then polished, does it matter?

a few things ive been considering for adaptation:
-veggie strainer [not sure if its SS any ideas?]
-stainless steel water bottle [with a hole drilled through the bottom and maybe stacked into one another upright, or alone]
-cheese grater
-1/2 qt ss mixing bowl [with a hole drilled through the bottom and maybe stacked into one another upright, or alone]
-sink strainer

would any of these introduce anything new or useful to this HHO stuff?

i see the most common is outlet covers...anything cheaper and easily found thats on par?

the guy from www.mindstrain.com used SS push plate covers [for doors] and cut them to size, that seems to be the best idea ive seen so far...is that better then outlet covers?

from the water4gas stuff ive seen them recommending sanding/scuffing the surfaces of the plates, is that good or bad? it would seem to keep the bubbles stuck in the surface longer...but may produce more in the long run then a smooth surface, am i correct?

thanks for the help!

slimk
07-21-2008, 06:53 PM
the local home depot didnt have SS push plates, only brass... so i guess switch plate covers are the only other way to go..

what about small SS cocktail shakers, if they were attached to a terminal well and the lids taken off, it seems like a decent amount of surface area, they were 7.99 each at a store i was in, maybe 4-5 inches high and 3 inches across.

Stratous
07-21-2008, 07:14 PM
If you have the ability to cut the sheet metal, then lowes has back splash material that is Stainless. Its fairly low quality though. Should be back in the counter top area.