PDA

View Full Version : Cell housing material discussion

HomeGrown
07-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey guys,

I just finished my cell which is designed to fit inside a 3" dia. PVC pipe. I've got the cell housing nearly finished, but started thinking about heat buildup, and how to help keep things cool. The only real merit to PVC is that it's dirt-cheap, easy to get, and easy to work with. That's where the list of "pros" stops, and the laundry-list of "cons" come into play. Doesn't play well with heat, doesn't dissipate heat, can give off toxic fumes when overheated, the endcaps are somewhat crude, etc. etc.
PVC pipe is most exellent for it's intended purpose: spud cannons. :D

Is there some compelling reason that aluminum shouldn't be used as a cell housing? It's not part of the electrolysis process, therefore it shouldn't matter what the material is.............. or does it? :confused:

Sure aluminum isn't impervious to chemical attack via the electrolyte, but it could really go a long ways towards keeping the cell cooler, and it could really lend itself to mounting a heatsink on it.

Thoughts?

Stratous
07-21-2008, 09:07 PM
aluminum should be "ok" as long as you dont use sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide and its not part of the actual circuit. It may corrode a little.

HomeGrown
07-21-2008, 09:26 PM
I suppose in a plate-type cell configuration the housing could play as an unwitting participant to the circuit, but my cell is a tube-type, with very little exposed + electrode, and not really close enough to cause any reaction with the housing.

Stratous
07-21-2008, 09:28 PM
As long as the aluminum isnt placed between the anode and cathode, it shouldnt be part of the "cell". I suppose some of the leaked current may contact the case, but it should be very little.