PDA

View Full Version : Bubbler Issue

bigapple
07-22-2008, 01:57 AM
im wondering if anyone has come across this cuz i figure it must be pretty common

when running my unit, the temperature inside the tank gets very hot and that causes the pressure to rise... after running it and shutting it off, temperature lowers, and so does the pressure, which results in a vacuum... so basically all the water inside the bubbler is sucked into the tank and causes overfilling and prevents the bubbler from doing what its made to do and basically just makes it a place for the steam to go... anyone know how to get rid of this issue?

dennis13030
07-22-2008, 02:06 AM
What you could do is remove the bubbler and use an inline flame arrestor. It allows breathing in both directions.

bigapple
07-22-2008, 03:20 AM
What you could do is remove the bubbler and use an inline flame arrestor. It allows breathing in both directions.

how much do those cost and what do they look like? and does that mean i have to completely remove the bubbler? or is that just something i add to the tube going to or from it?

EDIT: just had a brainstorm... what if i was to put a one-way valve going from the generator to the bubbler to prevent water from going in and then add an extra hose to the generator and have a one-way valve that only goes in? that way, if pressure increases, the air cant get out cuz of the valve, and when pressure decreases, the valve will open and let air into the generator tank... ur thoughts?

Stratous
07-22-2008, 07:07 AM
you could also put a check valve before the bubbler. I have done test with check valves and they work well.

dennis13030
07-22-2008, 10:22 AM
how much do those cost and what do they look like? and does that mean i have to completely remove the bubbler? or is that just something i add to the tube going to or from it?

EDIT: just had a brainstorm... what if i was to put a one-way valve going from the generator to the bubbler to prevent water from going in and then add an extra hose to the generator and have a one-way valve that only goes in? that way, if pressure increases, the air cant get out cuz of the valve, and when pressure decreases, the valve will open and let air into the generator tank... ur thoughts?

I would remove the bubbler completely.

Here is a link to a flame/flashback arrestor
http://www.hydroxycorp.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=7

scottyhho
07-22-2008, 09:45 PM
I made the same thing for about 15 bucks from Lowes. I used 4 inch long threaded brass tube with steel wool in it. the ends are the barbed fittings (the ones that the hose can fit on) with sink screen in it.

bigapple
07-22-2008, 09:49 PM
I made the same thing for about 15 bucks from Lowes. I used 4 inch long threaded brass tube with steel wool in it. the ends are the barbed fittings (the ones that the hose can fit on) with sink screen in it.

can u show me what the inside looks like so i can make the same thing? btw all advice on this subject from everyone is appreciated... thanx for the help

scottyhho
07-22-2008, 10:35 PM
I would, but i have no pics of it... Go to the plumbing section at lowes and find the brass fitting section. They usually have all the fittings kind of on the wall in front of you. find 2 fittings that you can put a hose on (barbed). You know you have the correct one if you can screw the fitting on to a pipe. I took the screen that you can find in your sink (where the water comes out) and put it the female end of the barbed fitting. When you screw the 4 inch tube on, it will press the screen into place. i then filled the tube with steel wool and repeated the barbed fitting thing agin. Screw it all together using some plumbers tape and you should be GTG. It sounds complicated but go to Lowes and play around a bit.

bigapple
07-23-2008, 12:44 AM
ok so let me lay this out and tell me if its right... u put the barbed fittings (finally figured out what ur talking about; yea pretty simle) on each end of a pvc tube and put a screen on each end of the tube and fill it with steel wool? it just seems crazy that that little pack of steel wool will prevent a flashback... is it really that simple?

EDIT: does it also prevent water vapor from getting to the intake tube?

scottyhho
07-23-2008, 06:08 PM
You're close. Don't use PVC in the center. Use a threaded piece of brass tubing. You can get it in the same section as the barbed fittings. It will work. I'm using this as well as a bubbler, blow out disk, and kill switch. All the saftey features keeps my wife off my back..

justaguy
07-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Most people are putting a one way check valve between the generator and bubbler to prevent the generator from sucking your bubbler dry after shutting the engine off.

bigapple
07-23-2008, 10:59 PM
wouldnt having a check valve cause too much pressure in the electrolyzer and still have a vacuum effect? just not sucking up water? that mite be detrimental to my generator and it mite not work that well

and im still wondering if the flame arrestor or check valve prevent steam to get into the intake... or is it even a bad thing for steam to get in there?

dennis13030
07-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I think I would go with a flame arrestor, no bubbler and port the HHO gas to the dirty side of the air intake. Channeling the HHO is this manor filters the electrolyzer output twice(flame arrestor & air filter).

bigapple
07-24-2008, 01:06 AM
I think I would go with a flame arrestor, no bubbler and port the HHO gas to the dirty side of the air intake. Channeling the HHO is this manor filters the electrolyzer output twice(flame arrestor & air filter).

well see my issue with that is that i dont use a stock airbox for throttle response reasons... i use a 360 degree cotton cone air filter... itd be hard to make that work... btw its not this dirty under the hood anymore haha... this is an old picture

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/2456000-2456999/2456765_30_full.jpg