PDA

View Full Version : just installed a hho generator and i have some concerns

humbug
07-22-2008, 06:05 AM
this is my first time ever posting a thread on any forum.
i love this forum its full of people that are experimenter and are not afraid to try something new, so any help with my question will be greatly appreciated.

i installed a hho generator on a 2000 exterra and the moment i turned on the car i noticed it ran alot smoother and i am getting better mpg's which im really happy about but my check engine light turned on. i went to autozone and i retreaved 10 codes mostly form the map and 02 sensor. i wanted to know if anyone elses car has set off the check engine light from just installing a hho generator? should i worry about this? :confused:

Stratous
07-22-2008, 07:02 AM
I have heard of others that have recieved codes. From the way I understand it, once the ecu recieves a code, it reverts to a default setting. I would think as long as your still seeing better MPG then it should be ok. I am no expert on this though, but there are a few auto mechanics on this thread.

Hydroginist
07-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Humbug

Check this guy out on Utube (http://www.hhoforever.com

They have a small computer that adjusts your sensors.

Not cheep but in the long run worth it.

Good Luck and Work Safe

scottyhho
07-22-2008, 09:56 PM
do you think that if you extend out your O2 sensors, that might help with the ck engine light??

EltonBrandd
07-22-2008, 10:07 PM
do you think that if you extend out your O2 sensors, that might help with the ck engine light??

The O2 sensor extenders wont help with light once it comes on. It may fool the sensor by moving it far enough out of the exhaust stream. Once the code goes from "hard" (meaning that it is currently malfunctioning) the engine will run properly. You can buy a fairly cheap scan tool that can read and erase codes, it will come with an instruction booklet with all the federal code descriptions as well.

scottyhho
07-22-2008, 10:28 PM
i understand that, but my question is, if you extend the sensors befor running the HHo, do you think it would help with malfunction lights?

humbug
07-23-2008, 12:37 AM
what about if i erase the codes with a obd scanner and then install a efie do you think that will keep the engine light off?

did anyboby elses engine light turned on when they installed a hho generator? and if so how did you keep it off?

bigapple
07-23-2008, 01:53 AM
what about if i erase the codes with a obd scanner and then install a efie do you think that will keep the engine light off?

did anyboby elses engine light turned on when they installed a hho generator? and if so how did you keep it off?

i work at an autozone and we arent allowed to erase the code unless u have already diagnosed the issue and are getting the same code... say it was an o2 sensor and u got it replaced and the light came back, then we could erase it, but if not replaced, they fear lawsuit and wont let us do it... if u buy ur own OBDII then u will be able to erase the code but more than likely if ur engine still detects something going on in it differently, the code will return

and easy fix... unplug ur battery for about 10 minutes and turn ur car back on... it gives the ECU time to reset and resets the check engine light... hope this helps

humbug
07-23-2008, 03:00 AM
i removed the positive terminal for about fifteen minutes no luck. the engine light is still on, has this happened to anyone else? at least im getting better mpg's

jhodg5ck
07-23-2008, 09:36 AM
You have hard/stored codes @ this point.. They will need to be cleared with the correct scanner.
The battery trick will work for soft codes and on some older cars (OBD I and earlier OBD..).

Jonathan

Smith03Jetta
07-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I was getting several codes on my car until I made my recent ECU adaptation channel changes. Every time I would clear a code it would come back within a couple minutes. With the recent ECU changes that I made, I used my laptop software to clear the codes. I've driven for two days with no codes showing up. That seems promising.

See more on my thread...