PDA

View Full Version : OK! information overload!!

hollisatp
07-22-2008, 01:37 PM
So I have been reading alot of posts and the one area I am still hung up on is the o2 sensors and tricking the computer. what is the best way to "trick" the computer in everyone opinion??

daveczrn
07-22-2008, 02:32 PM
the problem is that the o2 sensor is "seeing" more oxygen. so the best way to trick the computer would be to modify the signal from the o2 sensor to read what you want it to read. Now depending on what type of car you have is what needs to be done to trick the computer.

dave

hollisatp
07-22-2008, 02:41 PM
thanks for the response.. I have a 2001 ford ranger v6 w/efi. I was reading that even changing the o2 voltage to trick the computer needs to change throuout the rpm range.. can I do damage to my engine with only setting the voltage once? once I setup the booster and adjust the voltage to trick the comp, dont I need to change it for different driving? or is it just one adjustment and Im done?

Smith03Jetta
07-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Depending on what kind of car you have, you may have to modify the car's ECU settings. I'm successfully modifying my Volkswagen ECU by hooking up a Laptop Computer to my car using a special cable and software designed for my car. There's cables and software written for most cars but you'll have to look to find it. You should also be very careful. Accidents can happen and you can mess up your car's computer.

Other ways that people are trying is to change the signal on the signal wires coming from the O2 sensor and the MASS air flow sensors. From what I can see this is a manual process that's hit or miss.

Regardless of what you decide, you should be careful when adjusting anything related to your car's computer, sensors etc.

If I had a little more money, I'd buy me an older carburetor car and do HHO experiments on it instead of fooling around with this Electronic Fuel Injection stuff. I think a 1963 Chevrolet Fleetside pickup would do just fine.

hollisatp
07-22-2008, 02:54 PM
cool thanks.. one more question.. but Im gonna post it in a new thread to get maximum visability and response..

rmptr
07-22-2008, 03:15 PM
From my years of experience tuning carburetors I would believe it is quite a bit easier to make an adjustment to a dashboard mounted knob than pulling the top from a carb to change jets.

It's not difficult to drill out jets larger, but frequently smaller is required.
This requires drilling oversize, driving in brass rod for interference fit, then drilling that out to the size you estimate will be an improvement.

Lotsa carbs have various schemes for adjusting the mix.

Low, mid - range, and hi-speed jets, that may inter-act with various needles with differing diameters and tapers AND level settings.

Carbs with adjustable setting are expensive!
Components are costly.

IMO, FI with an ECU that may be manipulated suitably is superior.

Best

daveczrn
07-22-2008, 03:16 PM
the absolute best way would be to modify the computer like smith said.

i would check out a forum on your ranger and see what people are doing as far as turning for performance mods. you could find alot of good info there i'm sure.

dave

hollisatp
07-22-2008, 03:24 PM
yeah i have a forum for my ranger but it seems that this is really new to alot of people.. not much if any info there.. check out my other thread and let me know what you think..

Smith03Jetta
07-22-2008, 03:40 PM
I would not suggest Speaking HHO outside an HHO forum. I would suggest looking at performance forums to see what people are doing to lean or enrich their fuel systems. Take that information and use it for your own secret evil purpose. If you start talking HHO or Hydroxy or "Water4Gas" on some of those forums you will be shunned and nobody will help you. I got all my engine and computer information from Euro-tuner sites, VWVORTEX and other High performance street racer sites.

slimk
07-22-2008, 03:49 PM
what is the safest/easiest MANUAL way to tweak the o2 sensor or maybe to DULL it is a better word...since it still needs to work just not as well...lol

is the tin foil wrap worth anything, or the extenders? anything else on the hardware end of things that can be done easily and is pretty universal for all makes/models?

daveczrn
07-22-2008, 04:17 PM
you can't manually modify an electrical sensor. externders and foil wrap don't work.