PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen seperation?

hollisatp
07-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Has anyone tried or done any experimentation using any type of oxygen remover? I did a quick search on the web and found that dessicant, which is used in food storage, is specifically designed to remove 3 times its weight in oxygen! I would think that passing the hho gas through a container filled with dessicant would remove the oxygen, resulting in an easier way to change the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen?
I added a link to one product I found. 99.8% effective in removing all oxygen!
I have not done any research to figure out how much oxygen is produced from a booster cell. That is, everyone says 1.5 litres per minute, but how many CCs of oxygen is in that mix?
Im sure that there is a membrane or another chemical that has the same effect? anyone else find other materials or chemicals? I saw a small script saying bleach?

http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?products_id=366

slimk
07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
thats a great question..how much of the LPM flow is O and how much is HH, is it as simple and figuring out a 2:1 ratio [HH:O] or is it more complicated?

this nitro-pak stuff seems like an interesting idea but would require a lot of maintenence and guess work when it comes to figuring out when to change packs, etc.

Smith03Jetta
07-22-2008, 04:38 PM
The desiccant idea is not too bad but the amount of water vapor produced could cause the desiccant to reach it's absorbency limit very quickly. It's main job is to absorb water, it secondarily will absorb Oxygen. You can reconstitute the desiccant by heating it and evaporating the water from it.

I had a problem with desiccant one rainy day when I was trying to paint a motorcycle. The desiccant in-line air filters I was using would only last 10 minutes or so because of the high humidity.

Even if the desiccant works, you will have to figure out a way to constantly take the oxygen/water out of the desiccant so it will continue to do it's job.

Smith03Jetta
07-22-2008, 05:00 PM
I've got another idea. RUST. Rusting is caused by oxidation. When oxygen is combined with certain metals it causes rust. Hydrogen would not be effected. Let's say you run the HHO gas through an iron wool cartridge. The Oxygen would combine with the iron to form Iron Oxide and the Hydrogen would pass harmlessly through the filter. I'm not sure how much of the oxygen would be filtered. I know that this idea is an elementary idea. Just thinking... the best thing would be a nano-diaphragm that would allow the oxygen to go through but not the hydrogen. The oxygen side of the diaphragm would be vented...

hollisatp
07-22-2008, 05:26 PM
well the packets say they "DO NOT" absorb water.. i am sure one can buy just the chemical in bulk..

hollisatp
07-22-2008, 05:27 PM
they are actually little rust packets.. i must have gotten confused with another site I was looking at with dessicant..

spob
07-22-2008, 05:30 PM
If you replace the negative electrode with aluminum, the oxygen will oxidize it and come out of solution. The down side is that you'll use up the electrode and leave a slurry behind. The plus side, if done right, most of the oxygen will be used up in the reaction, leaving only the hydrogen to go into your intake.

By the way, the reaction of aluminum and oxygen to form aluminum oxide is exothermic so some sort of cooling system would be required.

hollisatp
07-22-2008, 05:39 PM
wel what about a two chamber design that traps only the hydrogen and disburses the oxygen? when the plates are put together, do they have to be right next to each other or can they have just the ends almost touching? I have not made my own so exscuse my stupidity if this is a dumb question.. can you make them in the shape of a V with just the bottoms almost touching, and have only the outside of the plates be reactive? isnt there a way to impead reaction? this might make it easier to separate? problem would be that you would have to make a number of cells, not just a big one to make it work. But I dont think this would be outside anyones talents?