PDA

View Full Version : Ideal SS Plate Thickness? What Gauge?

slimk
07-22-2008, 03:44 PM
I went to Boss Steel today [www.bossteel.com] and talked with one of the guys at the sales desk, it turns out they can custom cut plates of any size in 304SS, and you can get it in 22 Guage, as well as 20, 18, 16, 14, and so on... the price averages at around $11.50 CDN a square foot.

is thinner better for HHO production? im guessing it either doesnt matter as the surface area is basically the same, since the edges dont produce any noticeable amount. the thinner stuff would also be easier to cut or drill into...so before i order anything i thought id ask what gauge would be ideal?

thanks!

ps-this place doesnt sell steel bolts :( the closest place to me here in toronto, ontario, canada is Brafasco [www.brafasco.com] who does make anything and everything steel including bolts.

RMForbes
07-22-2008, 07:34 PM
It really depends on your design, a thin plate will warp if overheated and a thicker plate is heavier. Also the cathode plate will loose mass and will need to be replaced sooner if thinner. I use 20 guage for my expermental units but will likely use 14 to 16 guage for my final designs.

cougar gt-e
07-23-2008, 08:50 PM
This is coming from a beginner so watch out!

I would think thicker is better. It's easier to get and keep a thick plate flat and the plate to plate spacing is important. Warped plates will result in variable spacings.

I think that if you have wider or narrower spots you will have higher or lower resistance thru the electrolyte solution result. Then you will have variable gas production in those spots.

Just to remember, I'm a beginner...

Packer Fan
(With or Without Brett)