PDA

View Full Version : Weird pwm symptom/need help

davehho
09-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi, new here but have read alot about hho. I have an 11 plate dry cell and a 30amp pwm purchased on ebay. The thing I'm trying to figure out is that when the cell is powered up has 13.8v engine running. And the amp gauge and fluke meter hooked up says it is drawing like 10amps. Now when I turn the dial clockwise(increasing the amps)it will actually lower the amps. Like down to 3amps??? But my production of hho gas increases. Weird. I have checked all the wiring and all is good. I noticed that as I increase(or turn up the dial)that looking into my dry cell a lot of bubbles are happening and the water level lowers below half of the cell. Any thoughts on this? the cell is configured
-nnnn+nnnn- 11 plate/316L and has a gallon feeder above it. thanks dave:confused:

Helz_McFugly
09-04-2009, 02:54 PM
that is weird. if it were wired backwards it would give a negitive reading. you got me man.

davehho
09-04-2009, 04:06 PM
yep I know. I unplugged the pwm and ran it directly off the battery and by the analog gauge it reads like 11amps but when I go to read it with my fluke it show the ams going down, but by the analog gauge it goes up. thinking that maybe the analog gauge is throwing the fluke off. Just hard to figure out. I hav e a nice set up with my pwm mounted in engine comp and beneath that my analog gauge to get a close reading but to be exact that is why I am connecting my fluke meter. dave

marchlabs
09-06-2009, 09:39 PM
what kind of fluke meter are you using? clamp ons need to be set to millivolts ... and also what kind of PWm?

jeremy from
www.hybridconversions.com
www.marchlabs.com

marchlabs
09-06-2009, 09:41 PM
actually sounds like it may be a bad potentiometer ... if you cant figure it out you are welcome to send it to me and ill check it out .. if it needs a new pot ill throw one on there ..

davehho
09-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi Jeremy, I am using just a cheap fluke style clamp on meter from harbor freight but still should work. Yep set it to mv. And my pwm is one bought off of ebay. MX(max tronic) 066 pwm 30amp at 100hz. If I can not figure this out I am considering a bigger cell like a 6x6 size. I just think that this little cell I have is not making enough hho without running it too hot. thanks Dave

Philldpapill
09-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Usually, a PWM signal can screw with cheap electronics like that. Basically, the meter is sampling the instantaneous current, and trying to average it over a time period. If your meter happens to be sampling when the current is 0A, then yes, your result is going to be screwy. Better meters = beter measurement results.