PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Suzuki Baleno 1.6

Buster
09-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Suzuki Baleno 1997, 1.6 engine: originally 27MPG around town, 39MPG on a run keeping under 60MPH. Now does 45MPG around town, 60MPG on a run at under 60MPH. so 53-66% increase in MPG and it drives like a dream. These results are from many tank fulls to be sure of accuracy.
Latest install consists of 1 Drycell custom built drycell, 1 dryer & 1 bubbler, 1 PWM set at 20A draw. No other mods.

-Buster

mistert123
09-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Hello,

Could You tell me how many lpm have you got, and what is Your configuration of the cell (how many plates and size of them)?

Sorry for asking but this information will help me to build nice cell.

Buster
09-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi, we use 150mmx150mmx0.9mm plates. Spacing about 1mm. Configuration : -nnnnn+nnnnn- with a PWM restricting to 20A. Have also sometimes used a -nnnnnn+nnnnnn- without a PWM. Gas output varies according to setup...I think about 1lpm with the 13plate +PWM, 0.7lpm with the 15plate cell, if I remember right. (The lower output with more plates is due to Voltage per plate being less.)
I think a lot of the reason for the good result with this car is because of it being older and maybe having less tricky electronics to complicate things.
Am presently experimenting with a 15A PWM setting as it uses less water and may be easier to live with as far as maintenance is concerned. Will see how the MPG are effected soon, hopefully.
Bear in mind that this setup and result is with this particular vehicle and may need adjustment with yours. It is more complicated than just what size the engine is. Experimenting is the only way to find out, but this setup has been quite successful with larger vehicles of similar starting MPG level.
Hope this is helpful.

mistert123
09-14-2009, 01:56 AM
I have an nissan primera 1.6. I think it is almost the same engine.
My engine is very simple. He don't have too much electronic.

When I finish my work I post my results.
I'm building a DryCell from plates 130x150mmx1mm. I wont to start from -3n+3n-3n+ configuration, and if it will be to hot I add another n-plate.

Buster
09-16-2009, 04:02 AM
Just an update on the 15A trial. Over a 225mile journey my result is 55MPG.
So there is a drop in MPG of around 5 at this Ampage, but water useage was very low as there was little heat. Personally, I would prefer the extra 5MPG, but some people I know would prefer not to have to check their system so often.
...Lazy buggers!! LOL

Helz_McFugly
09-16-2009, 12:07 PM
great results buster. Im glad youre getting such great increases in MPG with only 1LPM or less. good job man.

Drafty-01
02-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi I have Nissan Primera P11, 1997 model. I've been reading these forums and others and am seriously considering building something to increase the mpg of my car (we're metric here and measure this in litres per 100km, so this is a bit tricky to compare apples to apples with). I do 520km a week +, and with the price of gas on the rise, it's time to get pro-active about these things. So far, I've read about a lot of people spending a lot of money for sometimes no result, and other times only a small increase, with the odd really successful installation. It runs a SR20DE engine. I've looked under the bonnet for enough space to put one of these things, but it's pretty tight to say the least. I was thinking of making up two smallish boosters, about 75-80mm diameter (3") and slotting them in with the bubbler(s) in front of the radiator - better cooling and it's the biggest space. Two units as I can't fit a large one in anywhere! I'd be really interested in seeing some pics of the way people that have a 10-15 year old car, with a serious lack of space, have set their units up. Also, I have had a problem trying to find a source for KOH, what is it usually used for and does it have a product name so I can ask for it and not get a really stupid look from the counter staff at the store. No problems finding NaOH though, in fact it's pretty cheap. It's not easy to get the parts together for one of these either, as a lot of the mainstream shops only sell cheap gear from China.