PDA

View Full Version : More negitive plates????

gidrew
06-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I have only been developing my cell for a few weeks now and i have been noticing that there seems to be more gas created on the negitive plates. Does anyone else notice this. I see people putting alot of neutral plates in their cell, I do too. But I also see people saying to put more postive plates. I see alot more bubbles coming off the neg plates and even if I swap the terminals the bubbles still come off the neg plates. The setup I noticed this on really well was: +nn-nn-nn+ and when i swapped the terminals of course it was: -nn+nn+nn- and the neg plates were cranking. Pulling around 20amps with this setup. When I did a volume test to see if when I swapped the plates to positive on the outside verses neg on the outside, production was the same. Tomorrow I am going to configure it to: +nn-nn-nn-nn+ so 3 neg & 2 pos plates do a volume test swapping the terminals to 3 pos and 2 neg and see what I get. Currenly I am using tap water because I havent had any rain. Lye as electrolyte, and I'm keeping the same water solution to see for the new config, so the plate change is the only variable. If anyone has any thought on this, or has already experimented, let me know. Oh currently my max production has been about 1 L/min.

Stratous
06-03-2008, 09:41 PM
From what I have gathered in my experimentation. It doesnt matter how many Neg plates you have because you can only get 2 hydrogen per 1 oxygen. It would only help if you were maxing out the production capability of your neg plates. I would imagine that have 2 neg plates per 1 pos would be plenty. I have been known to be wrong a time or two.

gasmakr
06-03-2008, 10:07 PM
my current setup is -nn+nn-nn+nn- the plates are 316 SS useing sodium hydroxide as electrolyte 1tsp per liter of distilled water I run around 14 amps and produce about 1-1.5liters per min.

you see the bubbles on the neg. plate because thats where the hydrogen forms no matter which plates you make the neg. that's where the bubbles form. My current setup keeps equal distance from the pos. to the neg. plates so the current has the same distance to travel in any direction.:)

Ronjinsan
06-04-2008, 01:29 AM
The immediate advantage of neutral plates is the reduction in amperage and heat. My best cell so far was a 7 plate +nn-nn+ (that one is in my car). The one I have just built is a 9 plate +n-n+n-n+ with bigger plates. I dont see much advantage from it actually! I think I'll go back to either the tubular cell or my original! All the best.:p

CHRISTOPHER
06-04-2008, 02:26 AM
must agree the best cell so far is a +nn-nn+ or a +nnn-nnn+ Im also runing one in car and they give alote of production at quit a low heat ratio but i am running it on a vacum.:D but thats a diff story.;) in the end it all boils down to the electrolite strength, plate size and distance apart that will deturmin the heat and amps. Irelivent of what the cell llooks like they all reliy on the mix of electrolite to perform.

Ronjinsan
06-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Yep, Christopher I think that about sums up HHO production!

gidrew
06-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks for everyones input. Today i tried an actual output test to see what was better. I did 3 different tests and found the same results for each test. my set up that I was using was +nn-nn+ and found with 1/2 tsp of sodium hydroxide that I was pulling just under 25 amps, and it produced 800-900 ml/min on final test when the water temp was 145 F. It produced the same when i switched the terminal to have 2 neg plates and 1 pos. I also did a test before the water cooled down to check spacing. Found very good results. First test was 1/16" spacers and 2nd test was 1/8" spacers, the larger spacing produced less gas in the same container, same water solution, same water temp(maybe a few degrees less for the time it took to switch out the spacers) So thinner spacing is better for more gas production.

gasmakr
06-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Yep, Christopher I think that about sums up HHO production!

Yeah what he said....LOL :p

Ronjinsan
06-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Didnt we! ...:D

Phantom240
06-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for everyones input. Today i tried an actual output test to see what was better. I did 3 different tests and found the same results for each test. my set up that I was using was +nn-nn+ and found with 1/2 tsp of sodium hydroxide that I was pulling just under 25 amps, and it produced 800-900 ml/min on final test when the water temp was 145 F. It produced the same when i switched the terminal to have 2 neg plates and 1 pos. I also did a test before the water cooled down to check spacing. Found very good results. First test was 1/16" spacers and 2nd test was 1/8" spacers, the larger spacing produced less gas in the same container, same water solution, same water temp(maybe a few degrees less for the time it took to switch out the spacers) So thinner spacing is better for more gas production.

While this may be true, I don't think that thinner spacing would be good for all plate designs... for instance, where it inhibits water flow to the plates.

This is pure speculation though.