PDA

View Full Version : heating issues

sparky379
07-23-2008, 08:25 AM
I installed a generator last night, producing 1.5l/min, at 30 amps, but it has serious issues with overheating, weakened my pvc to the point its leaking air, truck is now drawing waater from bubbler. 8' away.almost straight water(tap). would 1/2" lexan work for a lid....on a St steel tube housing?

Stratous
07-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Lexan has heat limitations of about 270°F, so it would work. The problems arise when applying direct pressure on lexan, like torquing a bolt. The downward pressure will make the lexan spider crack. If you use lexan, drill the holes very very slowly. Heating/ melting the lexan while drilling will change the chemical makeup which allows the lexan to crack or break much easier than it normally would. Once you drill the holes for your bolts, use large fender washers to disperse the pressure caused by the bolt heads. I use lexan polycarbonate to build generators. The stuff is great, but its difficult to get hydrogen tight seals at times. Use solvent based glues to bond the lexan to itself. Normal glues/ epoxy will not hold for long. The best glues for poly contain methylene chloride and can be purchased easily online. Weld-on is a good brand.