PDA

View Full Version : HHO and trailer towing?

ramcustom
09-10-2009, 08:27 AM
OK braniacs help me out here. I have a 1998 GMC diesel turbo and pull a 7000lb trailer. i have 5 of the gas maker Tn hho units connected and a MAP enhancer on my turbo sensor with a Scan Gauge. Pulls about 25-30amps but I don't see much of an improvement in mileage,maybe 1/2 mpg if any. And when I use the MAP enhancer the Scan gauge shows that the mileage goes down at least 2mpg. So does the HHO only work on light cars that aren't under a load all the time? It looks like i'm wasting my time and money trying to make this work in a towing scenerio. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Helz_McFugly
09-11-2009, 11:12 AM
i have 5 of the gas maker Tn hho units connected
how many liters per minute of HHO are they puting out?

I think you can get it to work if you test enough. Its fighting that ECM thats the pain. some trucks can do it with nothing but a HHO generator. some need control of every sensor on the engine. seems youre going to need more then a MAP enhancer.

ramcustom
09-11-2009, 05:59 PM
counted wrong. i have 2 11plate cells and 1 20plate cell. HHO production is 2liters in 41 seconds. Talked to the gen maufaturer and he thinks i have to many cells. said to cut back to 2 11plate cells and give it a try.

Buster
09-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Do you have a clamp meter to see how many amps the system is drawing in total?
I reckon it is maybe 40+, and I would expect MPG to be dropping probably above about 25, maybe even less.
Are you able to control the Amps with a PWM?
If so, I would recommend doing some MPG tests at different settings to find the car's 'sweet spot'.

ramcustom
09-12-2009, 04:10 PM
pulling just over 25 amps and I don't think it has a sweet spot.

Buster
09-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Is that from cold? Do you have a PWM to keep it at that?
If that is cold, then my rough sums make it that your three cells are delivering over 9MMW's!!!! That's fantastic???
Personally I think it sounds like the figures are skewed.

ramcustom
09-12-2009, 08:44 PM
no pwm and they produce 2 liters in 42 seconds. Im going to try the VOLO FS2 unit and see what happens.

spicerman
09-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Sorry for jumping in here but....:( Is that "zolo F2S" an EFIE device?? McFugly is running gas and you are running diesel??
What engine do you have? 6.2? Does your engine have some sort of fuel trim device like an O2 sensor? Some of the later models are using exhaust gas sensor feedback to calculate fuel input.

Have you considered trying water injection??...Along with your 2LPM of gas? According to Eagle-Reasearch, [George Wiseman] that injecting water with HHO can give you good gains. HE says that it works especial well in diesel engines. I bought His water inJ. manual and built a system for my 97 350 Chev. Just with water inj. alone I went from 17mpg to 19.8. Ive built a generator [ 1Lpm@ 10amps]. I have an EFIE, a MAP enhancer, but I havent got them tuned yet. George will work with you via Email if you have questions.
I too have a camper [6000 LBS] that I havnt pulled yet. but I'm looking forward to seeing what my gain will be. You need to put it on a DYNO to really be accurate. But who has the money for that!!!

Helz_McFugly
09-13-2009, 02:32 AM
yea i dont think they make a Volo for your turbo diesel. ive heard many times that hho work better on a diesel. I think you jsut need to test the ranges of the sygnals of your sensors and get an OEM manual and find/make controls for them.

biggy boy
09-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Ya I don't think they make a FS2 for diesel unfortunately.
You can still get one for your Ford thou. Don!

the water injection idea sounds good.

Any luck with the Scangauge air/fuel setup Don?

I'm still waiting for my FS2 to be shipped I ordered it last Monday (7 days)
Wondering if he is back ordered already.

Glen

biggy boy
09-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Is that "zolo F2S" an EFIE device??

No not an EFIE device.
Here the link.
http://yhst-19807630266082.stores.yahoo.net/fs2hhoedition.html

Glen

ramcustom
09-13-2009, 07:38 PM
my FS2 for the Ford was shipped saturday. Dan says he has one for the diesel even though its not listed on his web site.
Glen im got a buddy of mine looking at the scan gauge tables to rty and figure out if and how to set up the air/fuel ratio. Maybe this coming week we'll get to it. It rained all week here so didn't do much on the car.

spicerman
09-15-2009, 09:44 PM
hey ramcostom,
What engine do you have in that GMC?? I was wishin that I had a diesel engine to play with. Just curious...:D Diesel is supposed to benifit the most with water injection. The older models didnt have any exhaust sensors so you had the freedom to add as much HHO & water as it will take with out having to tweeking on any o2 sensors.
I just got my HHO generator going, my efie is tweeked and I'm injecting about 1 OZ/PM of water. Eagle-research suggested that you start at 10% and add until you see not more gain. He claims that on some engines {all are different} you could cut your fuel usage in half. HHo is a must to get the best gains. Even with the volo fs2. Anyway, I took a 100 mile run to see what it would do. I thought my gas gage was not working because it didnt go down hardly at all, but I didnt fill the tank before I left. Now I'll get serious and let you know what it gets.
I do like the volo FS2 That would save a lot of tune time. $85 bucks :(

ramcustom
09-16-2009, 12:02 PM
my gmc dually has a 6.5 turbo in it. I just blew a head gasket so I am using maybe 1/2 gal of antifreeze per 800 miles of towing. I don't have the VOLO FS2 for this motor yet. Dan just sent me the FS2 for my Ford Focus and I just hooked it up yesterday.

spicerman
09-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Hey Ram I Found a guy in the neighboring town that does HHo too. I called him last night to see what he was doing. I didnt have much time to talk but he had some interesting things to say. He has a low profile semi tractor with a small block Commings diesel. He pulls a 32 FT 5th wheel with it. He said it was a "dog" especially pulling into the wind. (normal :( ) He had the fuel pressure jacked up and it was better But when he started running HHO it totally transformed the truck. He said he had a sixpack installed. The way he discribed it, I think it was the Jar type wet cells and he was blowing the HHo into the intake with an aquarium pump. He has an inverter installed and was using the 120v for the pump. He was really excited! He said he got pulled over for speeding while pulling up a hill and told the cop that he was road testing his HHO install. He popped the hood and showed the trooper what he did and talked him into a warning ticket..:D That all could be B.S. but he was excited!!!

VOLO FS2 can be used on diesel. I seen it on the website.