PDA

View Full Version : Mario Brito experiment on HHO - Case choise

mario brito
07-23-2008, 09:39 PM
hello everyone :)

after several weeks searching and reading everything i could find, i'm finally going to start building my HHO unit !

i've already introduce myself, but i'm going to put all on this post.

Name : Mario Brito
Country : Portugal ( no, we are not a province of Spain ! ) -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal

here in Portugal we usually drive small cars with small petrol / turbo-diesel engines. my car is a Renault Clio 1996, 1.2L V4 petrol engine with 60HP, that already has 200.000 Km, but in good condition.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/renault/clio-1991.aspx?model=710

fuel economy is very important in my country, because we pay much more for our petrol than in USA :( - right now, we're paying 1,52 Euros / Liter !!!
we use two types of petrol : 95 and 98 Octanes.

with 95 octanes petrol i'm currently doing 6,5L / 100Km.

introduction done, so, let's start :)

First step, the case :

today i bought a nice SS container for 5 euros, which i believe can be a good choise. is all made of SS, with a pressure rubber seal and transparent plastic top. i'm planning to make the container the negative pole, with the positive and neutrals inside.

i've great respect for this forum members, due to the way we all behave, share ideas and help eachother, so give your opinion, either good or bad, i whant to know !

thanks

Omega
07-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Sounds interesting.

Keep us updated on your progress.

About your English, you do better than most do:D.

jimbo40
07-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Well so far, I think I want one of those containers.
What else do you have?
Comeon, lets see.;)

mario brito
07-24-2008, 05:56 PM
today i spent the day thinking about the SS plates for my HHO unit, but before that, i would like to say that i have 4 objectives :

1 : build a working, safe, reliable HHO unit.

2 : has to be easy to change components and they need to be easy to obtain.

3 : has to be very affordable.

4 : has to look good.

so, after work, i called some SS suppliers... and got disapointed ! they are either too far, too expensive, or just don't whant to supply such small amounts of SS. :(

after that, i started thinking, where can i get SS that goes with my 2 and 3 objective ?? i got in my car and drove to Continente ( a super-big supermarket here in Portugal ). i walked to the kitchen section and i found myself in heaven ! all the SS i could whant, cheap and on every shape and size !

after 1 hour looking to everything possible, i bought 3 items that where cheap and which they always have in stock ( see pictures - don't laught :) )

i also bought crystalized caustic soda ( 1 Euro ), following the advice to not buy drain cleaner.

so, i runned home and started testing ! it works !!!!!!

first observations :

- used 1 tea spoon of caustic soda.

- using the container as negative pole doesn't work. only as positive pole !

- item from 1 picture ( 3.59 euros ) ( x1 )- too big ! small container...

- item from 2 picture ( 1.69 euros ) ( x3 ) - works well, fast production - 10.5V / 3.8 A / ?? LPM

- item from 3 picture ( 0.30 euros ) ( x2 ) - works better than the 2 - 9.8V / 4.1 A / ?? LPM

- temperature - not measured, but no obvious increase - i believe that one of the major advantage of this container is heat dessipation !

for now, that's all i have to show :)

next step, i'll start building the bubbler

thanks !

1973dodger
07-27-2008, 02:44 AM
I use a polycarbonate tool box made by stanley with a yellow seal around the perimeter of the lid to house my cooling tank and have built a cooling radiator and housing with a 12 v fan bought at radio shack mounted to the ouside of the box, Inside the box i house my electrolizers with bubblers, which are housed in some square glass jars bought at wal mart. i think glass transfers the heat better into the cooling bath, which is a mixture of antifreeze and tap water. outside the box, on the lid, i have installed 2 terminals and 2 switches with leds to let me know when the unit is working. i have run as much as 4 electrolizers in the box with 2 bubblers @ 97 amps and producing 6 lpm and have kept good control of the heating issues. of course i was using a dedicated altenator for this particular set-up.

1973dodger

mario brito
07-27-2008, 03:12 AM
nice ! :)

that's a nice idea ! having everything on a liquid bath can solve the heating problem in summer and ice formation in winter !

could you please post some pictures ? i would like to see that :)

my car has a small engine, so i don't need that level of production, and i think that passive cooling will be all that i need on my unit. my goal is something around 0.5LPM / 8A.

thanks

1973dodger
07-27-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm sorry Mario, but i still live in the stone age and have not a digital camera, and if i did i'm not sure i would know how to load it in the computer.ha! But in all seriousness, one if the reasons i set this up as a suitcase(toolbox) type of systems, is so i can try it on other cars, by just unhooking and running a few wires and trying it on something else.(i want as much feedback in hands on experience as i can get) with this type of system, you will have most likely install it in the trunk or bed of your truck.

1973 dodger

mario brito
07-27-2008, 03:35 PM
don't worry about that. the important is the idea, and your description was very good and gave me a few ideas i never thought before !

thanks