PDA

View Full Version : Cummings diesel motorhome questions

hubut864@bellsouth.net
07-25-2008, 01:07 PM
I have a 36' motorhome and pull a Honda CRV. I currently get an average of 10 mpg. I powered with a Cummings 5.9 IBS 275 horsepower turbocharged engine. When I have been looking for a place to insert insert the HHO. One place looks promising is where the air cleaners service indicator is connected after the air filter.It looks like I could put a "T" in this line and would not have to drill holes.

The engine also has an intake air heater I'm not sure what effect this would have on the operation of the hydrogen generator. They have a warning in the book on the engine that says to" do not operate where there can be combustible vapors".

I'm hoping I don't have to mess with the onboard computer.

Any help would be surely be appreciated because I am a newly as you can see.

bobcampbell
07-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I have a 36' motorhome and pull a Honda CRV. I currently get an average of 10 mpg. I powered with a Cummings 5.9 IBS 275 horsepower turbocharged engine. When I have been looking for a place to insert insert the HHO. One place looks promising is where the air cleaners service indicator is connected after the air filter.It looks like I could put a "T" in this line and would not have to drill holes.

The engine also has an intake air heater I'm not sure what effect this would have on the operation of the hydrogen generator. They have a warning in the book on the engine that says to" do not operate where there can be combustible vapors".

I'm hoping I don't have to mess with the onboard computer.

Any help would be surely be appreciated because I am a newly as you can see.

I hope you find an answer. I've been asking the same question. I hooked it into the air cleaner box and saw absolutely no improvement even though my generator produces 1.8 LPM HHO.

Today I built a venturi and injected the HHO in after the turbo-cooling radiator. This is on the high-pressure side of the turbocharger. I was getting a real good suction from the venturi and I thought I had it licked until I raised the RPM and the turbo kicked in.

The turbocharger over came the negative pressure of the venturi and pushed back so hard on the plastic bubbler, it expanded like a balloon. I suppose I will have to build a stronger bubbler out of PVC in hopes that the pressure will equalize within the unit and begin to pump HHO into the intake manifold again. But I'm running out of options and running low on morale. I'm just about to throw the whole idea out.

I don't know why I didn't get good results when I used the air cleaner box and hope you try it out to see if it works for you. That is a real easy way to do it and if it works.

Please let me know if you make any progress. I'm set up to receive private messages here or you can just email me at bob-repairs@sbcglobal.net

Good luck,
Bob Campbell