PDA

View Full Version : Potassium Hydroxide

Dewayne
07-25-2008, 04:08 PM
I purchased a container of lab quality potassium hydroxide this week.

I just opened the container and it is in a flake form.

What is the best way to get to a state that I can measure it?

There is enough space in the bottle I can add about a cup of water. Could I add water and make it into a solution?

dennis13030
07-25-2008, 04:21 PM
I would probably use a separate container(jar) to mix the KOH with water. Maybe a table spoon or two at a time. I do not think that it takes much KOH to get very good results.

I do not have a recommended Water to KOH ratio. However I would guess at about 2 table spoons per gallon.

HYDROTEKPRO
07-26-2008, 12:30 PM
To precisely measure a ratio of KOH, NaOH, Baking Soda, or other solid electrolyte chemical to water: measure your chemical by weight and your water by volume, in similar units of measure.

Examples:
1 gram per liter,
5 grams per liter,
10 grams per liter,
25 grams per liter, etc.

Keep a little portable calculator handy to convert back to standard if you don't have metric measuring capabilities.

3.785 liters = 1 gallon (It says so on the outside of a 1 gallon water jug!)
28 grams = 1 ounce (Go to OnlineConversion.com for fast & free conversions) :D

dlw
07-27-2008, 04:59 PM
3.785 liters = 1 gallon (It says so on the outside of a 1 gallon water jug!)
conversions) :D

Unless you are from the UK where its 4.546 liters to a gallon :)

HHOhoper
07-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Is anyone aware of where you can get KOH in liquid form? I've heard drain cleaners, but I don't know if I should go that route due to the additional ingredients. I've heard that people recommend KOH all over this forum but I haven't really seen or heard where I can get my hands on some!

Meat
07-29-2008, 09:16 PM
I looked in the Chemicals listing in the yellow pages, and found a place that sold me a one pound container of KOH for 13.00, plus a gallon of gas to get there. And then another one to get back!

Tkyn10
07-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Ebay. I got it pretty cheap delivered to my door and is available in many forms

ridelong
07-30-2008, 08:14 AM
www.aaa-chemicals.com

HHOhoper
07-30-2008, 01:39 PM
I read here that the boiling point of KOH is 1320 Celcius!!!! Can that possibly be right?? That's 2408 Fahrenheit!!! Would this raise the boiling point of water, KOH mixture?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_hydroxide

Stratous
07-30-2008, 01:43 PM
I purchased a container of lab quality potassium hydroxide this week.

I just opened the container and it is in a flake form.

What is the best way to get to a state that I can measure it?

There is enough space in the bottle I can add about a cup of water. Could I add water and make it into a solution?

If KOH is like NaOH then adding water will create alot of heat, so make sure its in a glass bottle if you do add.

LinChiek
08-04-2008, 12:58 AM
DO NOT ADD WATER TO KOH....

always add KOH to water.....

example:
Step 1 - Pour 1 liter of distilled H20 to a container
Step 2 - The only add 10g of KOH to the distilled H20.

Never reverse the order.... :)

Meat
08-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Well, I've only mixed up two batches of electrolyte, but it sure does make a funny crackly noise when you add a small amount of water (like one cup) to your tablespoon or whatever of the KOH. It gets a little fizzy, too. Didn't notice any heat created, but then again I didn't check!

apwutcook
08-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I found potassium hydroxide flakes cheap at a local soap and candle factory/store. I think it was about $4 per pound.

HHOhoper
08-16-2008, 02:06 AM
Here's another question on KOH. Both my father and I have noticed our electrolyte (distilled water + KOH) turns brownish-orange after a little while of running. Is that normal? I thought it stayed clear?

Thanks!

GOplayer
08-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Would you care to educate us about this topic. Basic chemistry class was decades ago and memory about this faded. I know what you are saying is true. (I did add water to Lye and…got a mass in the bottle with a lot of heat generated!-no injuries thanks God!)

GOplayer
08-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Ah! You may just solved my problem but still do not understand it’s details:
I added water to lye and my HOD Gen. does not give any bubbles since. What have I created?

redneckgearhead34
09-18-2008, 11:31 AM
I read here that the boiling point of KOH is 1320 Celcius!!!! Can that possibly be right?? That's 2408 Fahrenheit!!! Would this raise the boiling point of water, KOH mixture?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_hydroxide

I was thinking the same thing. Has anyone actually tested this?

cemkarakurt
10-25-2008, 12:14 AM
If KOH is like NaOH then adding water will create alot of heat, so make sure its in a glass bottle if you do add.

very careful always use cold water fist then mix koh or costic soda. never use hot water or never put water in to costic soda ( my mistakely if you did caver you face or run away very quely i meen it it will explour and will burn your skeen.