PDA

View Full Version : Weights and Measures

Ronjinsan
06-05-2008, 07:49 AM
OK I have been trying to find an answer to the question I have been asking for so long about how much Hydrogen is the equivalent of Petrol!

Well I finally found this titbit, any takers?

423 CF of Hydrogen Gas @ STP (Standard Temperature and Pressure) this will equal same amount of Hydrogen as =1 gallon of Gasoline

Do the math on this. What you need to know....... a/ 1cubic foot is equal to 28.316 litres b/ Standard fuel mixture is 14.7 to 1.

One of my other questions was... How long will your car idle on 1 ltr of petrol? Assuming a standard 4cylinder, normally aspirated engine of say 2ltrs. I still dont have an answer to this but most people seem to agree on a figure of 1.5 to 2 hrs! Cheers :D

gasmakr
06-05-2008, 06:15 PM
:eek:That's alot of gas:eek:

Ronjinsan
06-06-2008, 02:45 AM
Unless our maths is real bad........Yep!! :rolleyes: :(

tbhavsar
06-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Hello,

I am wondering after producing HHO from the cell, where and How to collect it and then measure; please enlighten me.

Stratous
06-16-2008, 11:20 AM
You can measure this way. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will attempt to explain this. You will need your generator, a bottle, a bucket or something similar and a watch. Fill the bucket halfway with water, fill the bottle with water. Turn on your generator, take the hose and put it in the bottle of water. Get your watch ready and flip the bottle and hose over and place into the bucket of water. Time the amount of time it takes for the gas to force the water out of the upturned bottle. If you use a standard coke bottle it about 590 ml. If it takes a minute to fill the bottle with gas, then its about .5L per minute.

Hydroginist
06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Ron J
To help with your math a bit.
Hydrogen alone not HHO has a 38:1 fuel to air mix I haven't been able to find a Ratio specific to HHO as the Oxygen changes the ambient fuel to air mix some what.

Just a little more mud for the water

Ronjinsan
06-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Thanks a stack Hydro, very usefull info to me and I hope to others! it helps to understand the effect of limited amounts on consumption and performance! The minimum mixture for a petrol engine is 22:1 so we can work things out from there............:) Oh yeah Max is 8:1 :p

Fishhook
06-18-2008, 10:38 AM
I own an automotive repair facility in the Great State of Texas. This is the very heart of oil country. Oil is mind boggling-ly expensive to bring in these days, so, Texans are just as interested in higher mileage as everyone else.

With a background in science and biology, I feel that what we as humans don't know, far outweighs what we do know... so, all of the folks getting higher mileage, (and there seems to be quite a few), could not be coincidence. I am hoping that with the use of chatrooms, and the wonderful tool that is YOUTUBE, we will, as a group, be arriving at an ideal configuration for the HHO cell very soon.
I don't see why units making upwards of 12 liters per minute would not be feasible, once we, as group, get the physical cofiguration narrowed down. It may turn out, in fact that we need to install higher output electrical sources in our cars to run the HHO generators.
Anyway, there's the icebreaker,folks. Jay

Stratous
06-18-2008, 12:40 PM
I am certain that one major factor is creating a vaccum inside the generator housing. I just need to figure out where a vaccum port is on my 5.9l cummins.

Ronjinsan
06-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Oh come on Stratous...when the going gets tough and all that stuff.....do the unthinkable...drill a small hole in the manifold and tap it. Thread a small nipple in and voila! Hey if you dont think it works you can always block it off! :o:D Oh you will need a really strong piece of tubing as the vacuum is pretty high, have someone start it for you and watch the container for signs of collapse, you can tell them to switch off quickly before implosion!:o

Stratous
06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
I cant drill a hole into my manifold, its still under warranty

Dean88
06-18-2008, 08:39 PM
I cant drill a hole into my manifold, its still under warranty

Aaah the lovely warrenty.

How much does a new intake cost? You could always just find a Cummins in a junkyard or buy a used one off evilbay and leave it in your shop until that **** moment comes and change out manifolds.

spob
06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't think that diesels generate vacuum at the manifold because of the type of combustion cycle they use. I believe that you have a vacuum pump that is belt driven.

rmptr
06-28-2008, 12:05 AM
It could have vacuum pump or hydraulic assist for brake cylinder.

but I know it's got a turbo and the only vacuum is beyond that.
Probably would not be wise to draw HHO in at that point.

Best

cjdave
07-25-2008, 06:22 PM
on a turbo there is no vaccume from the turbo to the tip of the tail pipe.

Mine is a 2003 Cummins.

Diesels use a hydraulic boost pump for the brakes and steering.

Madjeff66
07-29-2008, 07:23 AM
A diesel engine has no vacuum. So drilling a hole in your intake is not going to work. Most diesel's have a mechanical pump to create vacuum to operate heater doors and accessory's, etc.

Jaxom
07-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Newer vehicles rarely use engine vacuum for much of anything. Ventilation controls have gone to servomotors and everything on the engine is electronically controlled via the PCM, with a few exceptions. Most cars still use vac boosters for the brakes, but as stated the majority of diesel brake boosters are hydraulic or electro-hydraulic systems.

Belt-driven or electric vac pumps are the way to go. They eliminate the issue of changing vacuum levels due to engine loading (which is highly counterproductive since engine vacuum is lowest when you need the most HHO.) This issue is one reason I am firmly against using direct manifold vacuum to boost production in an HHO cell.

Omega
07-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Newer vehicles rarely use engine vacuum for much of anything. Ventilation controls have gone to servomotors and everything on the engine is electronically controlled via the PCM, with a few exceptions. Most cars still use vac boosters for the brakes, but as stated the majority of diesel brake boosters are hydraulic or electro-hydraulic systems.

Belt-driven or electric vac pumps are the way to go. They eliminate the issue of changing vacuum levels due to engine loading (which is highly counterproductive since engine vacuum is lowest when you need the most HHO.) This issue is one reason I am firmly against using direct manifold vacuum to boost production in an HHO cell.

I wholeheartedly agree!!!!!!!

HHOhoper
07-30-2008, 04:08 PM

I second! (or third- whatever)