PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Ford Explorer Sportrac 4.0

cabrera
09-22-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm looking for other members who are working on similar 4.0 trucks.

Mountaineer
Explorer
Ranger

To be able to trade results, ideas, & suggestions.

Thanx

lhazleton
10-12-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm running a system in a '98 4.0 Explorer 4x4.
19 plate, 3 cell, 6x6 KOH

sweet7549
10-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Tried dry cell, no improvement working on a titanium cell now.
Too much electronics to fool.
Better quality gas no electronics too fool.
Rick

cabrera
10-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Rick

I hear you. My Sport Trac is getting O2 sensor extenders, a MAF enhancer, PWM and if needed an EFIE.

This was easiier on my bug :D

lhazleton
10-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Andy,
Don't bother with the O2 extenders. They really don't do much, and the EFIE will take care of the O2 signal. Also, be really careful with the MAF enhancer. Damned Fords don't like'em. Anything above 'barely turned on' will throw a bunch of codes at you.
Mine especially likes P0171 & P0174. It's also easy to set the burn too lean & could do alot of damage. You should install a EGT gauge & test the temp. before installing the electronics so you'll know if everything's O.K..
Lee

cabrera
10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Andy,
Don't bother with the O2 extenders. They really don't do much, and the EFIE will take care of the O2 signal. Also, be really careful with the MAF enhancer. Damned Fords don't like'em. Anything above 'barely turned on' will throw a bunch of codes at you.
Mine especially likes P0171 & P0174. It's also easy to set the burn too lean & could do alot of damage. You should install a EGT gauge & test the temp. before installing the electronics so you'll know if everything's O.K..
Lee

I've got my Scanguage installed just waiting to see what codes get thrown!
I'm looking at a Auto Meter 6445 Nexus. The PITA is drilling & tapping the sensor on the exhaust manifold.

I had a setup on my 74 beetle and it was sooo much easier w/o the electronics. I saw some decent MPG improvements. She went from 23mpg to 30. Thanks for the heads up!

lhazleton
10-24-2009, 11:59 AM
I just installed the FS2 chip. I removed my O2 EFIE and the MAF enhancer. Seems better already. Mileage seems to be increasing & there's more power!

cabrera
10-25-2009, 08:46 AM
I just installed the FS2 chip. I removed my O2 EFIE and the MAF enhancer. Seems better already. Mileage seems to be increasing & there's more power!

How was the installation on the chip? Definitly keep us posted on the results. It may be the way to go, especially if you hade making manual adjustments!

lhazleton
10-26-2009, 07:49 PM
It's been running steady at 21.4 mpg. using just the chip & drycell. Original mpg. was 16.5 . I'm going to try hooking the O2 EFIE back up & reset the FS2. I'll start at 200mv and steadily increase to 450mv and see if there are additional gains. I know that I've got more power & smoother upshifting since removing the damned MAF enhancer.

cabrera
10-27-2009, 08:14 AM
It's been running steady at 21.4 mpg. using just the chip & drycell. Original mpg. was 16.5 . I'm going to try hooking the O2 EFIE back up & reset the FS2. I'll start at 200mv and steadily increase to 450mv and see if there are additional gains. I know that I've got more power & smoother upshifting since removing the damned MAF enhancer.

Is that is city mpg?

lhazleton
11-02-2009, 08:14 AM
That's the combined mileage. All along I'd been getting error codes every now and then. I removed the O2 extenders and haven't had a code since. I recommend NOT using them.

lhazleton
11-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Rick

Sweet,
I sincerely hope you do a bunch of research before spending good money on the 'specially coated' titanium cells.

sweet7549
11-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Bench testing a wet mesh titanium cell.
Anode is coated 2 cathodes are not.
3.5 grams of KOH in 1 gallon distilled water.
Starting at 10 amps.
Ran 1 hour cell reaches 22 amps temp is 110.
Going to test all week.
Keep you all posted
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cabrera
11-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Andy,
Lee

Lee, (or anyone) ... chime in

I need a favor regarding the function of the MAF Enhancer vs EFIE. I understand the function of the MAF enhancer and how it affects the ECU but what exactly does the EFIE do and to what fuctions of the ecu? I know it is cut into the O2 sensors but how does it differ from the MAF enhancer's function?
From what I have read:

The oxygen sensor “tells” the computer what the oxygen content is by providing a voltage on it’s signal wire between 0 and 1 volt. 450 millivolts (.45 volts) means that the fuel/air mixture is correct. Higher values means the mix is rich (has too much gas), and lower voltages means the mix is lean. By adding voltage to the sensor’s output, we can compensate for the additional oxygen in the exhaust.
The Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancer (EFIE) does exactly this. It adds a floating voltage to the top of whatever the oxygen sensor is putting out. It has an adjustment that allows you to control, to within a few millivolts, the amount of this added voltage. This allows the computer to be unaware of the additional oxygen content of the exhaust from the HHO generator, and the electrolyzer can now achieve it’s full potential in fuel savings.

Isn't this the same function the MAF enhancer does?

If I am interpreting this correctly, I would say the EFIE would be the main controller while the MAF enhancer would be basically a "Fine Tuning" to the EFIE settings.
Would this be an accurate conclusion?

lhazleton
11-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Andy,
The MAF sensor tells the ECU the load (volume of incoming air) and adjusts the pulse controlling the injectors. The O2 sensors read the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. The normal voltage is around .002 - .008v.. The EFIE adds anywhere from 0 - 400mv. The more MV's the ECU reads (more O2 = lower voltage) the more it will lean the mixture as it thinks the engine is running rich.
Hope this helps.

cabrera
11-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Andy,
The MAF sensor tells the ECU the load (volume of incoming air) and adjusts the pulse controlling the injectors. The O2 sensors read the amount of oxygen in the exhaust. The normal voltage is around .002 - .008v.. The EFIE adds anywhere from 0 - 400mv. The more MV's the ECU reads (more O2 = lower voltage) the more it will lean the mixture as it thinks the engine is running rich.
Hope this helps.

Got it!
Setting the EFIE should be fun!!:D

lhazleton
11-03-2009, 07:34 PM
It's simple. Set it so it's putting out 200mv to each O2 sensor and take it from there.
Mine seemed to run best at around 350mv.

cabrera
11-05-2009, 04:00 PM
It's simple. Set it so it's putting out 200mv to each O2 sensor and take it from there.
Mine seemed to run best at around 350mv.

That seems simple enough. I just have to find an accessable place for this. Basically once you set it you forget it right? It just has an on off switch to run disenguaged correct?

lhazleton
11-06-2009, 08:14 PM
You've got it! The best way to attach the wiring is by tracing the v/line from the sensor to the ECU and attach them there. It's easier than laying under the truck & trying to work on the sensor's themselves.

cabrera
11-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Andy,
You should install a EGT gauge & test the temp. before installing the electronics so you'll know if everything's O.K..
Lee

In order to install an EGT (EXHAUST GAS TEMP GAUGE METER) in my 2002 4.0 Ford truck would anyone know if this would require drilling the exhaust manifold or does Ford have a plug on the exhaust manifold?

lhazleton
11-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Andy, I just drilled & tapped the manifold. It's a ***** to do! To make the job quick and easy, you might want to go this route: Merely drill & tap in a convenient spot after the driver-side cat. That's the most easily accessible place. Drive it for a while with nothing (hho wise) running & note temp reading. Should be around 850F. Then, try it with everything running & check for any changes. It's not as accurate as manifold readings, but you'll be able to see any fluctuations.

cabrera
12-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Andy, I just drilled & tapped the manifold. It's a ***** to do! To make the job quick and easy, you might want to go this route: Merely drill & tap in a convenient spot after the driver-side cat. That's the most easily accessible place. Drive it for a while with nothing (hho wise) running & note temp reading. Should be around 850F. Then, try it with everything running & check for any changes. It's not as accurate as manifold readings, but you'll be able to see any fluctuations.

Lee I have some EGT questions for you/.

1. Can I use an aircraft EGT?
2. Do you have any experiences with the clamp on sensors? (drill hole insert probe & clamp around pipe) I want to avoid tapping

lhazleton
12-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Andy,
I don't think it matters what kind of gauge you use. I've only used the kind wth NPT fittings, but if you already have something different, why not try it?

Ricardohx
06-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Hello everyone. I´m new on the forum.
I have a 1998 Explorer Sport (Aventura 4.0V6 OHV). I´m live on Colombia. Tow months ago i installed HHO kit, it was a 21 plate cell with bubbler and reservoir tank. I was hopping a positive change at least 5 mpg, but...no. The car car had the Volo chip FSH2 HHO and the cell and contrary that i was specting, the mpg was 2 down, and the engine temperature was up (the car ordinarily work in a half the normal range).
The cell is operating at 30Amp, and the inlet are between MAF and thorttle body.
I really don´t know what can i do to get the extra power and more mpg, i really thank to your for help.
(SORRY FOR ME ENGLISH)

cabrera
06-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Hello everyone. I´m new on the forum.
I have a 1998 Explorer Sport (Aventura 4.0V6 OHV). I´m live on Colombia. Tow months ago i installed HHO kit, it was a 21 plate cell with bubbler and reservoir tank. I was hopping a positive change at least 5 mpg, but...no. The car car had the Volo chip FSH2 HHO and the cell and contrary that i was specting, the mpg was 2 down, and the engine temperature was up (the car ordinarily work in a half the normal range).
The cell is operating at 30Amp, and the inlet are between MAF and thorttle body.
I really don´t know what can i do to get the extra power and more mpg, i really thank to your for help.
(SORRY FOR ME ENGLISH)

I have just one word of advice. Be very careful as to where you mount the HHO generator. My generator had a small drip and the electrolye ate my air conditioning condenser core. The electrolye will eat ANYTHING made out of aluminum.

(Sólo tengo una palabra de consejo. Sea muy cuidadoso en cuanto a donde montar el generador de HHO. Mi generador tuvo un pequeño goteo y la electrolye comió el condensador del aire acondicionado central . El electrolye se comen cualquier cosa hecho de aluminio.)

My final analysis is this.

Yes there is a considerable gas saving benefit to running an HHO system, unfortunately on today's cars (OBD2) it's more trouble than it's worth in both cost & maintenance.
If you are installing an HHO system on an older vehicle, especially a pre computer car, this is perfect & will give you substantial trouble free gas mileage increases. This is due no not requiring to "fool" the CPU, tweak the O2 sensors etc. It's a real PITA to keep tweaking it.

As of this writing I have removed the system from my 2002 Explorer & installed it on my 1974 Beetle.

I have had several years of experimentation & trial. So this is not a theoretical observation & conclusion, but and actual one

(Mi análisis final es este. SÃ*, hay un beneficio considerable de ahorro de gasolina a la ejecución de un sistema de HHO, por desgracia, en los coches de hoy en dÃ*a (OBD2) es más trabajo de lo que vale la pena, tanto en costo y mantenimiento. Si va a instalar un sistema de HHO en un vehÃ*culo viejo, sobre todo un coche de equipo antes, esto es perfecto y le dará importantes libres de problemas aumenta el kilometraje de gas. Esto se debe no hay necesidad de "engañar" a la CPU, ajustar los sensores de O2, etc Es una jodentina para mantener el ajustar la misma. Al escribir estas lÃ*neas he quitado el sistema de mi 2002 Explorer y lo instalé en mi 1974 Beetle. He tenido varios años de experimentación y ensayo. AsÃ* que esto no es una observación teórica y conclusión, pero una real)

Ricardohx
06-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Ok, and if i let the car with hho kit, but without efie...can it operating good? or definitely no?

cabrera
06-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Ok, and if i let the car with hho kit, but without efie...can it operating good? or definitely no?

Without a EFIE it is a losing proposition. The CPU will see the introduction of HHO as a lean burn and will consistently make adjustments adding MORE Fuel to the mix lowering your mileage.

Sin EFIE es un caso perdido. El CPU verá la introducción de HHO como una mezcla pobre y consistente hará ajustes agregando más combustible para la mezcla reducieno su kilometraje.