PDA

View Full Version : Colbalt phosphate

IAMMIKE
09-25-2009, 04:54 PM
On the News Hour on PBS airing sept 22, they were covering a story regarding storing energy from electricy generated by renewables (wind and solar). A professor Nocera at MIT was was using electrolysis to create h to store to be used later for electrical generation. What caught my eye was he
was using colbalt phosphate as a catalyst,his words, to double the production of h over what I assumed was distilled water. Any thoughts?

tammons3
12-04-2009, 01:21 PM
http://hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=5892

I am sure its not that difficult, just probably expensive if you start buying platinum. I think they just found the right combinations of elements.

Also the area 51 guy, Bob Lazar has formed a company to sell H technology to power cars or whatever. Says the actual unit is about as big as a dishwasher and runs off solar panels or a wind turbine. It has a metal hydride storage tank.

They are working on a universal bolt in conversion system for cars.

The H is stored in a granular metal hydride. You plug your car into the unit, it extracts the H from the metal hydride in the unit or storage tank and into the car hydride tank.

A hydrogen storage tank with metal hydride is much more compact and safe than compressed H tanks.

Capacity decreases over time with metal hydrides, but their system supposedly a high charge/discharge cycles, something like 7 years they lost 12% in capacity.

Supposedly the govt is on his back. Not supprisong.

Sounds interesting anyway.

oicu812
12-04-2009, 10:44 PM
since cobalt and phosphate are both not very soluble in water. I think they may be using cobalt nitrate and trisodium phosphate. Just a guess though! The intresting part to me is when current is passed between the anode and cathode, the anode developes a layer of cobalt which becomes a oxygen catalyst. It seams they've solved half the equasion anyway. I notice there still using a platinum cathode though$$$$$$$$