PDA

View Full Version : wall plate question

borgdrone
09-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Hello, I'm trying to build the Smackbooster version, and will move onto a dry-cell afterwards. But in his design he uses cheap Stainless Steel wallplates. I got some high-quality ones but its kind of a pain putting them together.

Basically, in his diagram, he shows them with the 'curves' at top/bottom facing the same way on each 'half'. (see picture enclosed of top 'curves'). Its basically the edges of the plates.

This is a bit of a pain for me, as mine tends to 'wave' after tightening it down. I'd like to just hammer them out, and flatten out the plates doing away with those stupid curves. It would help me get the blasted thing evenly spaced

That shouldn't pose a problem should it?

jerrygoldsmith
09-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I actually asked smack that very question a week ago.

He tried to sell me on his new site, www.safehho.com instead of answering my question.

Unfortunately $400 isn't in my budget, and I kind of want to build it myself.

Straight plates should be fine, but I'm still a newb.

Helz_McFugly
09-26-2009, 11:42 PM
nope. beat them suckers down flat. you will get orange water after a while because of the quality of the stainless steel. 316L is what you want. not sure what they are but it will work. Just have fun with it. youre just getting started. good luck

jerrygoldsmith
09-27-2009, 12:12 AM
nope. beat them suckers down flat. you will get orange water after a while because of the quality of the stainless steel. 316L is what you want. not sure what they are but it will work. Just have fun with it. youre just getting started. good luck

Ohhhh Idea!

Make the cell transparent (plastic or fiberglass), and hook up some bright blue LED's. Once the water gets orange turn it on and it will be sooooo pretty!

:D:D

spicerman
09-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Wait!! If you run 5 neutral plates you wont get any brown water IE: +nnnnn- or multipals of that. try it and see. It will take a while for the plates to condition but it will rock! use Lye (NaOH) as your electrolite. :)

Acme Hydro
09-29-2009, 04:30 PM
They will be more versatile if you flatten them. Plan to spend a little time doing this on an anvil, or some other hard, flat surface. I started out on my garage floor but soon realised that folley.

Also, those "high quality" plates may have a plastic coating which will have to be removed. I burned it off the ones of mine which had it, then wiped off the carbon. (Might be worth a check to see how conductive the carbon coating would be...)

I made diagonal cuts on one corner of each plate then drilled a hole on the opposite, short side for the connecting bolts. For truer spacing (I used zip ties), you could use nylon bolts and washers in the plate's original mounting holes.

Here's a few pics before I replaced the copper wires with stainless rod. You can also see that my first attempt to "dog-ear" the corners was too stingy and had to be re-done. Cheers! http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=480488941&albumId=891243

jerrygoldsmith
09-29-2009, 05:49 PM
I made diagonal cuts on one corner of each plate then drilled a hole on the opposite, short side for the connecting bolts. For truer spacing (I used zip ties), you could use nylon bolts and washers in the plate's original mounting holes.

Thats clever with the zip-ties to keep them spaced and from wobbling.... I'm going to do that with mine. Before I got laid off I got free zip-ties so I have piles of them to use.... hmm......

rcflyn
10-05-2009, 12:12 AM
My first generator was a "Modified" version of the smack booster (Basically a GEN II version), then my 2nd generator I followed his instructions. I didn't have too many problems with waving going on, those that did, I Used a screw driver to try to straighten out the gap. HOWEVER, I couldn't get it to fit into the 4" PVC Tube. SSSOOO, I removed both END switch covers, and replaced them with 2 Pieces of Flat 304SS I had sitting around, and the cell drops right in place. IF you just "HAMMER" them flat, they WON'T FIT into your PVC Container... You'll have to do some cutting on Several of the outter plates....
HOWEVER, I am NOT Happy with the HHO Production. 1L in approx 2 minutes.... HELLO.... My "MODIFIED" version puts out 1L in 1 min.... I'm NOT happy with that either, but it Netted me 4mpg on my van...
So, Now, I'm finishing up 2 Smack Boosters (gen II) and going to start experimenting on Dry Cells

And, I E-Mailed SMACK about a week ago, wanting his opinion on Titanium Sheeting that I stumbled across. I too got the reply from him, "BUY our EXTREME HHO Design and save yourself some Money"... and they want 600 for the unit, Not 400... you SAVE 400 as long as you buy before unit 1000 is sold.. Once #1000 is sold, they will ALL Sell for $1000... I anin't got $600 to spend on someone Elses Ideas. That's why I'm working on my own...
Lets all have fun with this & Help each other...

Hello, I'm trying to build the Smackbooster version, and will move onto a dry-cell afterwards. But in his design he uses cheap Stainless Steel wallplates. I got some high-quality ones but its kind of a pain putting them together.

Basically, in his diagram, he shows them with the 'curves' at top/bottom facing the same way on each 'half'. (see picture enclosed of top 'curves'). Its basically the edges of the plates.

This is a bit of a pain for me, as mine tends to 'wave' after tightening it down. I'd like to just hammer them out, and flatten out the plates doing away with those stupid curves. It would help me get the blasted thing evenly spaced

That shouldn't pose a problem should it?

jerrygoldsmith
10-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Things that help with HHO generation.
Good number of N plates
PWM
Dry-cell.

Smack is only talking about his new biz now. Even the Yahoo 'watercar' group or whatever it is, that he's a member if, is totally hijacked on that subject. Its like a friggin infomercial.
on his website it says this

As a leader in this technology, it is my duty to set this example

anyhow, what specifically are you doing in your Smack II? Just curiuos, as Borgdrone seems to be having good luck so far in his wet-cell design. Though I don't know if its Smack gen 1 or 2

My first generator was a "Modified" version of the smack booster (Basically a GEN II version), then my 2nd generator I followed his instructions. I didn't have too many problems with waving going on, those that did, I Used a screw driver to try to straighten out the gap. HOWEVER, I couldn't get it to fit into the 4" PVC Tube. SSSOOO, I removed both END switch covers, and replaced them with 2 Pieces of Flat 304SS I had sitting around, and the cell drops right in place. IF you just "HAMMER" them flat, they WON'T FIT into your PVC Container... You'll have to do some cutting on Several of the outter plates....
HOWEVER, I am NOT Happy with the HHO Production. 1L in approx 2 minutes.... HELLO.... My "MODIFIED" version puts out 1L in 1 min.... I'm NOT happy with that either, but it Netted me 4mpg on my van...
So, Now, I'm finishing up 2 Smack Boosters (gen II) and going to start experimenting on Dry Cells

And, I E-Mailed SMACK about a week ago, wanting his opinion on Titanium Sheeting that I stumbled across. I too got the reply from him, "BUY our EXTREME HHO Design and save yourself some Money"... and they want 600 for the unit, Not 400... you SAVE 400 as long as you buy before unit 1000 is sold.. Once #1000 is sold, they will ALL Sell for $1000... I anin't got $600 to spend on someone Elses Ideas. That's why I'm working on my own...
Lets all have fun with this & Help each other...

rcflyn
10-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Mainly all I'm doing "Different" is using different size Plates than He did. I don't remember the actual dimentions off the top of my head, but I do remember they're gonna be 8" long. And I'm actually using a spring loaded center punch to put HUNDREDS of little Dimples in each plate. I'm gonna build one with dimples, and one without and see if it Really gives a better production. But otherwise, I'm using his design.
I'm rather disappointed in Smack. He's trying to push this NEW Design so hard, and completely pulled his prior off the website. I'm glad I printed the details on the Gen IV, but the bad part is for the plastic plates, the print is SSSOOO Small, I had to use a magnifying glass to get the hole locations. I went back to his site to actually Down Load it this time, but it's GONE. So from here, I'm kinda winging it for my Gen IV generator.
So much for an "Open Sorce" idea with smack anymore....
Kinda looks like MONEY is starting to talk, and he's forgetting his Roots Huh???
I can understand having to make a buck, but it won't be off ME if it's something I Can do myself. But I'm TOO New into this to be able to figure out what works and what don't. and I'm really not a designer, so I gotta Borrow someone elses ideas right now. Maybe after coming up with my own Ideas after building a few more units, I'll be able to understand why/how these work more clearly, then start developing my own designs. But for now, I kinda need a little guidance, and Smack WAS that for me. Now I'm doing a LOT of browsing and trying to incorporate others ideas into smacks ideas and my ideas.... AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH :confused:

[QUOTE=jerrygoldsmith;34539 anyhow, what specifically are you doing in your Smack II? Just curiuos, as Borgdrone seems to be having good luck so far in his wet-cell design. Though I don't know if its Smack gen 1 or 2[/QUOTE]

biggy boy
10-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Here is my version of the BB smack Gen 4, I did not use the fill tube to refill the cells in the Gen stack. I just plugged up the center top hole instead.
I use the tube at the bottom to fill the cells there is a very small hole at the bottom of each plate to equalize the fluid level. It still has the sight windows on it. upper left and the slot vertical slot along the right side.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m297/biggy-boy/gif_1.gif

Glen

biggy boy
10-06-2009, 05:22 PM
This is just the back support plate.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m297/biggy-boy/backplate.jpg

The gasket is curtain material, It's a good Idea to put a piece of the gasket material in the center to stop the plates from shorting together, if they warp from heat.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m297/biggy-boy/gaskets.jpg

A sheet of clear lexan goes over this to seal off the viewing slot and the window at the upper left. Then the final end piece go's on.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m297/biggy-boy/plates.jpg

Glen

sho14u
10-06-2009, 11:24 PM
The curve is fine. I have been using smacks cells for quite some time. If your unit is torqued enough, there will be no wobble. What I have done is when I go to the home store, I don't buy the individual plates from an open box, I buy an unopened box so that all the plates in the box are from the same series of stamping and they all fit together like a nice puzzle. Don't hammer them flat, you will expand the metal and will NEVER get them to have the tollerances needed to run an efficient cell.