PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Ordered

rcflyn
10-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I just ordered 10 Plates of 5"X6" Commercial grade 2 TI Plates...

I'm not entirely Sure how or what I'm gonna be doing with them, so I'm looking for Ideas.
SafeHHO says they use 3 plates...

Any Ideas or suggestions?

I'll start cutting my 3/8 Acrylic endplates, and see if someone can give me some Ideas on how I should configure it...

Here I go again, adding another Iron to the Fire... Still got 2 wets to build...
Still got 2 drys to build, got more SS ordered for More Drys, Now I've got TITANIUM coming... Sometimes I don't know when to say "ENUF IS ENUF"...
Oh ya, and I still wanna experiment with a FROZEN CELL.... AAARRRGGGGHHHHH..... :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

Roland Jacques
10-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I could be wrong but i believe safe-HHO plate's are coated ti. The coating is the reason for their performance.

I have heard that you can condition ti to perform OK but not as good as SS.

Helz_McFugly
10-22-2009, 09:47 PM
this is true. and they refuse to tell you how the coating is done.

oicu812
10-22-2009, 10:18 PM
unfortunatly, titanium is slightly less conductive than stainless steel. it can be easily plated with nickle or platinum but I'm afraid it wouldn't hold up very long during electrolysis, the anode coating will plate out on to the cathode.

rcflyn
10-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Well, TI is here. Man is this stuff LIGHY compaired to SS. The TI is .050 thick, my SS is .031? (22 guage). My SS is 6X6", and the TI is 5X6. But Holy crap is it LIGHT...
So far, what I'm hearing, I wasted my money, but, what's done is done, so I'll Experiment with it.
I saw on You tube I think, someone intermixed SS & TI, so Maybe I'll try that... Any Ideas???

cloneman
11-01-2009, 11:05 PM
use ss for your neutrals and ti for your electrodes.....

Philldpapill
11-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Cloneman, it makes no difference whether a plate is a "neutral" or an "electrode"... The exact same phenomena happens at the plate boundries - electrons jump out of the water and on to the plate, and on the other side they jump off the plate and into the water.

Electrons don't care if you call the plate by one name or the other, but they DO care about the material. Titanium plates oxidize VERY easily at the anod and will be destroyed VERY rapidly. It doesn't matter if they are "electrodes" or neutrals - the same will happen.

Helz_McFugly
11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
I think I would only use Ti as a plate if I were coated it with MMO. Ti is more resistance then SS and Im pretty sure thats why safehho only uses 3 plates. Nickel is way less resistant then SS and more corossion resistant than stainless, Larry is having great results with his Nickel E-lyzer. Then theres platinum but I dont see anyone getting platinum plates. So unless you plan on coating your Ti, the only thing left is Stainless, Nickel, & Platimun. I havent seen much data on silver but Ive heard people talking about it. I dont know if it cna bu used of not.

oicu812
11-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, TI is here. Man is this stuff LIGHY compaired to SS. The TI is .050 thick, my SS is .031? (22 guage). My SS is 6X6", and the TI is 5X6. But Holy crap is it LIGHT...
So far, what I'm hearing, I wasted my money, but, what's done is done, so I'll Experiment with it.
I saw on You tube I think, someone intermixed SS & TI, so Maybe I'll try that... Any Ideas???

you might not have wasted your money. I've spent the last couple weeks reading up on titanium oxide nanotubes. Do a google search on it and spend a week reading. seams a titanium substrate is a great material to grow nanotubes on. the process seams doable. some researchers are anodizing the plates in a flouride acid glycol bath at various voltages. 25 to 50 volts dc in a non-aquous (glycol) electrolysis bath and than heating the plates at 350 c for three hours crystaling the titanium oxide nanotubes. The nanotubes give each plate thousands of times more surface area. a few researches have even reached the DOT target for 2010 in hydrogen using this process.

artnesmith
11-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I've been reading about different materials, like nickel. Seems impressive. The ideas presented for Titanium seem reasonable if someone can work through all of the plating and baking on problems. Things have come a long way from the stainless wall switch covers it seems. I hope everyone can post results here so we can evaluate what works best and how to apply this knowledge. Great forum by the way!:D

mileageseeker
11-11-2009, 08:15 AM
http://www.waterstarinc.com/?dir=1 Mike Cahill

http://www.denora.com/