PDA

View Full Version : (Baking Soda) AKA Sodium Bicarbonate Vs Sodium Carbonate

Roland Jacques
10-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I heard that some are using Sodium carbonate with good results.
Has anyone tried this? How does it compare to B.S. or KOH?

I know you can turn Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) into Sodium Carbonate by spreading it out and baking it at 350 in the oven for 30 minites.

Stevo
10-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Baking Soda works great at first, but then it begins to chemically react in some really undesirable ways. I saw hellacious amounts of clear looking red particulate in the water upon my first use well over a year ago.

My best results so far have been 2:1 KOH/NaOH. A way better electrolyte than baking soda (NaHCO3)

Roland Jacques
10-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Baking Soda works great at first, but then it begins to chemically react in some really undesirable ways. I saw hellacious amounts of clear looking red particulate in the water upon my first use well over a year ago.

My best results so far have been 2:1 KOH/NaOH. A way better electrolyte than baking soda (NaHCO3)

Wow, I never even considered mixing electrolytes. I'd think mixing some could be dangerous. I'm assuming that mixing 2:1 KOH/NaOH is not bad (relatively same PH and all). How strong do you mix your electrolye?

Helz_McFugly
10-27-2009, 10:36 PM
KOH in the best catalyst and has the best conductivity of all the e-lytes we use. Im not sure there is any reason to mix. I saw some tests done by testing the resistance in the water between 2 plates thet were a couple inches apart. KOH had the best conductivity out of everything tested.

Roland Jacques
10-29-2009, 03:36 AM
KOH in the best catalyst and has the best conductivity of all the e-lytes we use. Im not sure there is any reason to mix. I saw some tests done by testing the resistance in the water between 2 plates thet were a couple inches apart. KOH had the best conductivity out of everything tested.
Of commonly used electrolytes, yes

But...

If there is something I have learned over the years. That is, there is always something better.