PDA

View Full Version : Chemical reaction to produce HHO?

mangyhyena
07-27-2008, 10:47 AM
I read about a company in Canada that claims to be able to mix salt and something else that costs pennies per pound in water to get high production of HHO.

Does anyone know what that other substance is and how could HHO production like this be used to run an engine for a prolonged period of time?

Curious if you all are experimenting with other methods of producing HHO.

stickittoopec
07-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Yes I have been working on a chemical reaction that is self regulating. I quickly came to see that plastic (PVC, ABS...) is not the material to work with. But it did make a good proof of concept material as long as I could keep it cool. Depending on the electrolyte you also have to be very aware of the metals you are working with. I'm still trying to get the right materials together to do this right. I have a video here.
http://www.stickittoopec.com/gas.html

mangyhyena
07-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I found this online. I hope it helps you. And I hope you in return help us if it gets you somewhere. :)

"Run your Lawn Mower on Hydrogen

Have you filled up your gas can for the lawn mower lately? This technology could be used to drive small internal combustion engines in various applications, including portable emergency generators, lawn mowers and chain saws.
The process could, in theory, also be used to replace gasoline for cars and trucks. A Purdue University engineer has developed a method that uses an aluminum alloy to extract hydrogen from water for running fuel cells or internal combustion engines, and the technique could be used to replace gasoline. The method makes it unnecessary to store or transport hydrogen two major challenges in creating a hydrogen economy. The hydrogen is generated on demand, so you only produce as much as you need when you need it. Hydrogen is generated spontaneously when water is added to pellets of the alloy, which is made of aluminum and a metal called gallium. The researchers have shown how hydrogen is produced when water is added to a small tank containing the pellets. Hydrogen produced in such a system could be fed directly to an engine, such as those on lawn mowers. When water is added to the pellets, the aluminum in the solid alloy reacts because it has a strong attraction to the oxygen in the water. This reaction splits the oxygen and hydrogen contained in water, releasing hydrogen in the process. The gallium is critical to the process because it hinders the formation of a skin normally created on aluminum's surface after oxidation. This skin usually prevents oxygen from reacting with aluminum, acting as a barrier. Preventing the skin's formation allows the reaction to continue until all of the aluminum is used. The Purdue Research Foundation holds title to the primary patent, which has been filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and is pending. An Indiana startup company, AlGalCo LLC., has received a license for the exclusive right to commercialize the process. The research has been supported by the Energy Center at Purdue's Discovery Park, the university's hub for interdisciplinary research. "Gallium is critical because it melts at low temperature and readily dissolves aluminum, and it renders the aluminum in the solid pellets reactive with water. This was a totally surprising discovery, since it is well known that pure solid aluminum does not readily react with water." The waste products are gallium and aluminum oxide, also called alumina. Combusting hydrogen in an engine produces only water as waste. No toxic fumes are produced. It's important to note that the gallium doesn't react, so it doesn't get used up and can be recycled over and over again. The reason this is so important is because gallium is currently a lot more expensive than aluminum. Hopefully, if this process is widely adopted, the gallium industry will respond by producing large quantities of the low-grade gallium required for our process. Currently, nearly all gallium is of high purity and used almost exclusively by the semiconductor industry.

NOTE: For those that wish to experiment, pure gallium button material can be purchased here. When the hydrogen generator is fitted to the lawnmower engine carburetor lean/rich adjustments are required."

What do you think?

rboos
01-19-2010, 11:45 PM
I read about a company in Canada that claims to be able to mix salt and something else that costs pennies per pound in water to get high production of HHO.

Does anyone know what that other substance is and how could HHO production like this be used to run an engine for a prolonged period of time?

Curious if you all are experimenting with other methods of producing HHO.

Mixture of Gallium and Aluminum (Ga,Al) with heated H2O2... I guess thats the study of Ford Motors and UCLA, recently published. First publication I've seen mentioned this in 2006.