PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tested Potasium Carbonate?

astrocady
12-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Has anyone here done any comparison between KOH and potassium carbonate?

My S&K system came with potassium carbonate mixed one gram to one liquid ounce of distilled water. Because my duty cycles were running so high, I increased the concentration to about 2 grams per liquid ounce about a month ago. That helped quite a bit.

But now I've rebuilt me cells to a different configuration -- as recommended on this forum (see "help me fix my cells" thread under Electrodes) -- and now I don't seem to be put enough amps to produce any HHO.

I have some KOH but have been reluctant to switch because it's so caustic. But if I have to, I have to.

But before I do, I thought I see if anyone else has any experience with Potassium carbonate.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend...

Steve in Florida

Hans H
01-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Ya, I used potassium carbonate from a wine brewing company and got instant
brown "rust bloom". Since then I've realized that 12v is way too high for my latest electrode set (tubular), so I may revisit when I get a dc to dc converter. 6v did work well with Koh, and very little heating on the bench.
Hans

hhonewbie
01-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Make sure its 100% pure KOH & your electrolyte will remain clear

hoover1
08-03-2010, 10:05 AM
anything with carbon element in it, degrades, and out puts CO + CO2.! i have been studying dry cells really hard/close the past 6months.

myhydrogencar
08-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Yes, It does work but you need about 5x the amount compared to KOH to get the same amperage. Also if you use 304 stainless steel it will turn a golden brown. It stays clear if you use 316L stainless steel and passivate the plates with a citric acid bath before using. So, Yes it is a good alternative because it is not so caustic to handle and is safer in storage. But once it is mixed as an electrolyte it can be just as caustic as KOH. Cheers!