PDA

View Full Version : Dry Cell End Plates

fair66
01-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Has anyone tried using Aluminum or Stainless for the end caps of a dry cell in a configuration of -nnnn+nnnn-nnnn+nnnn- Of course if Aluminum would need a stainless plate on the inside against the end.Seems it would be better than Plexaglass.

Roland Jacques
01-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Better how? Yes there are a few guys i saw who used SS end plates.

IMO Phenolic Micarta is probably the best suited material for end plates E rated. Very rigid, very Strong, Heat resistant, non conductive. A little hard to work with, but easier than SS and Aluminium (Don't breath the dust !!

fair66
01-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Material is hard to find here .. Aluminum is available and stainless because of a couple metal shops but plastic and similar in any thickness would have to be ordered from somewhere.closest we have is plexaglass at home depot and the thickest they have is 3/16. The metal end plates looks like would take the heat and weather conditions better.
I will probably try the metal.
I just was browsing and of all the dry cells I have found none have used metal.

redrat100
01-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Has anyone tried using Aluminum or Stainless for the end caps of a dry cell in a configuration of -nnnn+nnnn-nnnn+nnnn- Of course if Aluminum would need a stainless plate on the inside against the end.Seems it would be better than Plexaglass.

When aluminum is immersed in most electrolytes (NaOh, KOH mainly. CHNaO3 to some degree and even NaCl) it will react to produce H2 gas all by itself. Until the aluminum is consumed. No electricity needed. For this reason aluminum should not be used, even if you think that you can seal it with a plastic plate.

Drafty-01
03-23-2010, 06:49 PM
But if you insulated it from the first plate with a blank gasket (ie; no holes) then, and insulated the tie bolts from it as well (plastic washers etc) then can't see a reason not to use it. The other minor point of contact with the electrolyte would be at the inlet & outlet, so if you could seal this using the first blank gasket, that would be fine. I'm just assembling my first dry cell (a 5" x 5") - didn't bother with wet cells, as there's too many possibilities of failure and they're probably not as easy to make as efficient either. I happened to have a 3/8" plate of insulating formica (used in building switch boards & control panels), so they're my end plates.