PDA

View Full Version : semiconductor as electrode

Owen_
02-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Does anyone know of a semiconductor that might hold up in a cell, and is inexpensive in sheets. I think the application is obvious, and don't want this thread to go it to the theory of it, just the practicality of building a cell with semiconductor plates.

Here is a list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_semiconductor_materials

redrat100
02-26-2010, 06:24 PM
I actually tried this using some left over silicon wafers. Just used aligator clips and dunked a pair into a NaOh solution to see what would happen. Nothing happened. Mainly because the wafers were very lightly doped silicon giving them insulator properties at ambient temperature. And I did not have the capability to cool them to cryogenic temperatures. I think silicon wafers would hold up well under electrolysis but they would need to be fairly thick to prevent breakage. Maybe 1/16 inch or so. They would also need to be highly doped to make them conduct.

oicu812
02-26-2010, 06:57 PM
titanium plates in a cell will anodize creating titanium oxide on the positive side (its a semi-conducter) it actually changes the color of the titanium plates. the color will change through the color spectrum depending on voltage. the color you see is actually from different wave lengths of light refracting of the titanium oxide nano tubes.
hope this helps.

Owen_
02-27-2010, 06:29 PM
titanium plates in a cell will anodize creating titanium oxide on the positive side (its a semi-conducter) it actually changes the color of the titanium plates. the color will change through the color spectrum depending on voltage. the color you see is actually from different wave lengths of light refracting of the titanium oxide nano tubes.
hope this helps.

cool, have you, or anyone using Ti reversed the voltage on a broken in cell, and if so how great was the resistance differences.
I'm not sure exactly what i was thinking last night when i posted this, but it seemed great at the time, but lots of things do when your drinking box wine. I'll have to rethink this one, with some paper, i think it was a way of avoiding voltage leakage.

Philldpapill
02-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Owen, just curious what in the world you have planned... Semiconductors really only have cool properties in relation to OTHER semiconductors. I'm trying to wrap my brain around what you have up your sleeve.

Ah, Box Wine. Gotchya. :D