PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on dry cells

thedore
03-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I know this might not be popular but when I see dry cell designs I think they are overly complicated. To me these are the rules of HHO design.

1) 2 plates work well in a cell. For reasons we do not understand using more than 2 plates does not help.

2) With a single cell the drop across the cell is 2.5 volts so with 14 volts to work with we might be able to series up to 5 cells. As it requires about 50 amps to get 1 liter per minute from a single cell 5 cells in series would require 10 amps to produce 1 LPM.

3) I look at a dry cell as a set of isolated cells in series with some current ( and liquid) leakage between the cells. This current leakage will produce heat and this heat may increase the cell output. Thus to get good output the leakage as well as the number of cells all figure in to the equation. What this means to the experimenter is that if a good combination of cell spacing, area and cell size is found it should be accurately copied in order to reproduce the same output. If these numbers are changed the output becomes dependent on luck.

4) The big advantage of dry cells is that they fit in small cases and can be close to the air intake. This is a safety advantage.

5) If i was to make a dry cell i would use about 5 cells and isolate each cell so that there would be no mixing of electrolyte between the cells.