PDA

View Full Version : More annoying newb questions.

N11634
03-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm working on getting the components together for after my dry cell is finished. I have browsed around this area and can't seem to find a couple of explainations I am puzzled with.

1: I hear narrow and wide-band thrown around a lot, but haven't found an explaination of what it is. I am wondering if my vehicle is narrow or wide(2005 Avalanche 5.3L). I am about to pull the trigger on this EFIE (http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=195&zenid=5f2c6802f867c2525ee368d356d64cd8) based on a couple posts in here and it's simplicity, and I want to make sure it will fit the bill.

2: Open and closed loop.....Can someone make light of this? Also, how do we know when the ECM is in either?

Please use as few abbreviations as possible with any replies!;)

cabrera
03-12-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm working on getting the components together for after my dry cell is finished. I have browsed around this area and can't seem to find a couple of explainations I am puzzled with.

1: I hear narrow and wide-band thrown around a lot, but haven't found an explaination of what it is. I am wondering if my vehicle is narrow or wide(2005 Avalanche 5.3L). I am about to pull the trigger on this EFIE (http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=195&zenid=5f2c6802f867c2525ee368d356d64cd8) based on a couple posts in here and it's simplicity, and I want to make sure it will fit the bill.

Wide band O2 sensors are relatively new to most American cars and began appearing in 2008 and considering your O2 sensors also fit a 2003 Avalanche 5.3L chances are they are probably narrow band. Narrow band sensors are basically an on/off switch in that it will either read lean or rich, but it doesn't tell the ECU how lean or how rich the mix is. The wide band sensor not only tells the ECU if the mix is rich or lean, but how rich or how lean it is.
The EFIE you have chosen from what I am reading works for both types. These would be connected to the upstream (pre cat) sensors. You will need to get your trucks wiring diagram so you can identify the O2 wires an ECU pins at the ECU (it's a lot easier to wire it up there).

2: Open and closed loop.....Can someone make light of this? Also, how do we know when the ECM is in either?
Please use as few abbreviations as possible with any replies!;)

Closed-loop varies the fuel injector output according to real-time O2 sensor data rather than operating with a predetermined (open-loop) fuel map.

I'm sure there are other pieces of equipment out there, I use a Scangauge 2 http://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Compact-Multifunction-Computer-Customizable/dp/B000AAMY86 it plugs into my obdII port under my dash and gives be a lot of information. It will also identify & reset any codes should the check engine light comes on. It also keeps track of mileage, voltage etc.

I hope this helps!

N11634
03-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Outstanding! Thanks! I've got friends with scan gauges, no problems there. The closed loop thing was what I figured, but I wanted to make sure.

Much appreciated!
More to come!

cabrera
03-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Outstanding! Thanks! I've got friends with scan gauges, no problems there. The closed loop thing was what I figured, but I wanted to make sure.

Much appreciated!
More to come!

My pleasure, from your posts I can see that you are proceeding prudently. The best advice I can give you is keep asking questions and double check the responses. It's real easy to goon up with this stuff. There are a lot of "geniuses" that will give you questionable advice. You will eventually realize who is who. Safety should be practiced in redundancy. ie flashback arresters, bubbler flashports, reinforced hoses etc.

If you need an more help LMK

N11634
03-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Will do!
Thanks agian!

lhazleton
03-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Andy,
If he wasn't a brother former Marine, I'd say let him ask Richard how
to make a good system:D
Oh, that was mean..................
Sorry Troy, I just couldn't resist!LOL
Eventually, you'll know what I mean.

cabrera
03-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Andy,
If he wasn't a brother former Marine, I'd say let him ask Richard how
to make a good system:D
Oh, that was mean..................
Sorry Troy, I just couldn't resist!LOL
Eventually, you'll know what I mean.

I know what you mean but Sorry Lee, I was Navy, but I did feel compelled to help.
I mean it is the U.S Marine Corp, Department of the NAVY! LOL
Sorry guys I couldn't resist either!

N11634
03-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Yeah, the men's department! LOL!:p

I'll be sure and keep a lookout for Richard!:D

Edit: Oh, and thank you both for the help!

N11634
03-12-2010, 09:49 PM
I'll check it out, thanks!

lhazleton
03-12-2010, 10:26 PM
I know what you mean but Sorry Lee, I was Navy, but I did feel compelled to help.
I mean it is the U.S Marine Corp, Department of the NAVY! LOL
Sorry guys I couldn't resist either!

Fairy - a$$ed squid!:D