PDA

View Full Version : Equalization holes, etc.

N11634
03-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Ok.....Things are coming along nicely. I've got a few last minute questions before I'm ready.
The holes for the equalization and for the gas to exit and pass through the plates; From what I've picked up, they should be alternated (or at least not lined up with each other) to help with electrolyte shorting. I have three questions along these lines:
1: Do both sets of holes need to be staggered, or doesn't it matter for the gas holes since the electrolyte seldom reaches them?
2: Would it be adventageous for a guy to file these holes to eliminate the sharp edges where it is more likely electricity will stream off?
3: I'm guessing the smaller the holes, the better for the equalization holes?

Thanks in advance,
T

Philldpapill
03-18-2010, 03:27 AM
1) The adjacent holes should be as far apart from each other as possible. e.g. the hole on the first plate would be on the left side, the hole on the second plate should be on the right side, the third - on the left, fourth - on the right... etc. This provides the longest path for the ions to travel, and as a result, provides the least amount of "current leakage"(which translates into more power loss).

2) I doubt filing will make much difference in the long run. The reasoning is that if there ARE tiny little burs, then they will corrode away very quickly and you will be left with fairly smooth edges. It couldn't hurt to file them, however... It just probably won't make a huge difference.

3) Indeed. Just don't make them TOO small so that you have flow restriction, causing a build up of back pressure, causing your cell to evacuate the electrolyte in place of gas build up.

N11634
03-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks!
I think I'm ready now.

HHOJeeper
03-21-2010, 02:31 AM
My dry cell of plates has 2 holes at opposite corners and I stacked them so they line up perfectly. Are you saying that it would be best if I alternated them? What is the reason for this? I dont understand what you mean by electrolyte shortening.

Owen_
03-21-2010, 01:06 PM
My dry cell of plates has 2 holes at opposite corners and I stacked them so they line up perfectly. Are you saying that it would be best if I alternated them? What is the reason for this? I dont understand what you mean by electrolyte shortening.

Electrolyte shorting, also know as voltage leakage, or current leakage.
well if you have, say, 14V at you want to divide into something like 2V with N plates, you still have 14V from the plate with the positive connection to the one with the negative connection. If there is a short path for this 14V to flow it will, at least some of it.
Shorting is also caused just by having any holes is a N plate at all. N plates have a + and a - side. Electricity will flow threw the hole just to go to the same plate.
Your cell would work better if you flipped half of your plates, but I can't say by how much.
If you do flip half of them water will not flow threw the cell as well, so it's a trade off.

Have you fired your cell up yet? If so a MMW number would show how much room for improvement your cell has.

HHOJeeper
03-22-2010, 01:14 AM
yeah. i ran it for 45 minutes. problem is i set it on the fender of my jeep while wiring it to a switch. I bumped it with my elbow and cracked the top real good. just finished upgrading all the broken and waiting for time again. video of it on youtube. user- jdtrickster. i dont have v meter or amp meter and really want the latter. i just have not done research into it

HHOJeeper
03-22-2010, 04:04 PM
yeah. i ran it for 45 minutes. problem is i set it on the fender of my jeep while wiring it to a switch. I bumped it with my elbow and cracked the top real good. just finished upgrading all the broken and waiting for time again. video of it on youtube. user- jdtrickster. i dont have v meter or amp meter and really want the latter. i just have not done research into it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfgjZsGvEPk

This is after I upgraded my generator casing. Its as big as will fit where I will be mounting it. Gives me room for larger plates and when I get the new plates Ill be cutting my gaskets a bit narrower to yield more surface space.