PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Ford Focus 2.0 DOHC ZX3

viper_1986_1986
04-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Well I figured I would post my results and findings here as a way to log everything and share it with everyone.

Just to start off i WON'T be doing any "TRUE" mileage tests as i am not going to drive an hour one, fill up, then drive another hour, i ain't that into it :)

My car?
2000 Ford Focus 2.0 DOHC ZX3
165,000 miles
I have a aftermark AEM - SRI system (air intake arm instead of a crappy air box. It helped ALOT with my MPG and HP...)
I also may have an aftermarket throttle body... i got the car used so unsure but i have compared mine to other people and mine seems larger...

I am delivery driver for a deli so i drive 50-150 miles every work day, sometimes even more! Sometimes its 90% city 10% hwy sometimes 10% city 90% hwy.
Normal MPG when i have mix of city and hwy is around 29.
City around 27.
Hwy around 31
(note: i never use AC even in summer)
(note: I drive with windows down ALWAYS even at 70mph)

My cell is 13 plates around 3"x5" with +nnnnn-nnnnn+ setup.
My holes kinda vary in size due to the use of the plates before i started dry cell.
Most plates have 2 holes around 1/4" some have a 1/4" overlapping another 1/4"

Production with 24v is around 4lmp... with an unknown about of LYE, just kinda shook some in there.... was one of my first dry cell tests.... with 2 batteries.....and just shy of 30amps. If left on for an hour it breaks 30amps, which is my limit.

On 14v (from car) i get around 1.5lmp. With a 18% mix of lye(KoHO).
I will be doing tests next week with a 28% mix but i believe that will throw my 30amp breaker. 30amp is my MAX due to termal board and current wires. Before i dump MORE money into this i want to see if it will work with my car...

I do have a youtube channel full of random stuff from me.
http://www.youtube.com/user/viper19861986#p/u/13/7wE-27ZJWxM

The videos are NOT to teach others, but just for me to show my friends. So they are not all perfect and they are very informal... like my sister running around screaming :)

Just search for "HHO" and you will get just my HHO videos.

Also I have a myspace with pictures that i randomly take here and there...
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=144382032&albumId=2581113

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

update 1:
HHO hooked up to PCV system
18% lye
Running around 25-30 amps (popped breaker once.... after being on for 4 hours... in 89f heat

MPG on hwy almost all hwy of 35 mpg.
MPG in city is 30 MPG
(briefly hooked up to EGR, same bad vacuum as PCV)
Slight gains...

update 2:
HHO hooked up to air intake, BEHIND MAF and before throttle body. Airway is being blocked a bit by my barb and nut holding it in place.
Lye mix is 0% and using TAP water.
Running around 4-8amps.... (apears to be around 1/4lmp MAYBE....)

MPG on almost all hwy 31
MPG with city and hwy 29
No gains....

update 3:
(installing tomorrow)
HHO hooked up to air intake as before.
11% lye with distilled water, so around 20-25amps

Should be better results as it is in air intake and not PCV.....
Will update monday.

update 4:
(i didnt do 18% lye, 900ml of water and 100ml of lye)
Worked today and went 111.4 miles; 99% city driving. A few times i had to get on the gas and was stopped a train once for 15mins. So went 111.4 miles and put in 3.98 gals... so just about 28mpg, which is normal.

I work again on tuesday and thursday night. Between the two i should have 100-200 more miles of drive time.

update 5: (3 weeks later)
Ok so my car is magical? I guess this is why TRUE milage tests may be needed?
I had a leak on my cell (due to the CHEAP and unmatched plate size), my plates are bent, and flexed, including the fiberglas.
So i took the cell out.
I have been pulling 34mpg highway and 31mpg city??
I never have had such great milage without milking it out of my car, but i been driving normal. During my city driving from stops to goes around 2500 RPMS and brake hard, hard turns and such while doing my delivery driving.

My only guess is that uh.... i dont know??? Posting a new topic to ask this question... maybe the HHO cleaned something out in the engine?

whynotthinkwhynot
05-09-2010, 05:28 PM
As a guess, yes it cleaned up some stuff. You're basically putting water back in your engine through the combustion chamber. It goes in there as HHO gas, but sparks itself into steam. Not much, but some, and believe me- steam will clean out the inside of your combustion chamber. It will also clean up your catalytic converter. When I messed around with used cars, if I had one that had reason for exceptional internal buildup before a repair, I'd give her a cup of water once the engine was warmed. It doesn't take much to start the cleaning process, and one of the other reasons why I want to look into adding HHO to my vehicles.

BTW- too much steam cleaning, and steam cleaning an engine that might be close to head gasket or ring failure is not a great idea. There have to be special circumstances like an old carb that was running rich for a long time or an injector that was stuck open for a long time before I'd consider this operation.

rachel
12-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Now after doing all this is that now much better than before. i the might have been cleaned as well.