PDA

View Full Version : Lye Issues

precaster1@msn.com
07-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Why Does 1 Table Spoon Of Lye Blow 25 Amp Fuses Instantly- Powertube Design. Baking Soda Goes About 15 Miles. No Pwm Yet. Lye Is 2 Years Old. Frustrated Near Seattle (big Time)

bigapple
07-29-2008, 02:04 AM
Why Does 1 Table Spoon Of Lye Blow 25 Amp Fuses Instantly- Powertube Design. Baking Soda Goes About 15 Miles. No Pwm Yet. Lye Is 2 Years Old. Frustrated Near Seattle (big Time)

because u dont need nearly as much lye for ur solution as u would baking soda... it draws the same amperage with much less of it and it runs cooler and cleaner since it has less oxygen (whereas baking soda is 6 oxygens for every sodium) to form ferris oxide (rust)... just add a bunch of distilled water to offset and dilute ur solution... one tablespoon of lye is way more than needed

Omega
07-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm using a little over 1/8th teaspoon in a quart of water. That is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. (Notice teaspoon, not tablespoon...) I need to bump it up a little bit because my cell is running cool, meaning I can increase HHO production by merely adding a little lye.

It's best to work up gradually. The downside to too much lye is boiling your generator and getting the lye/water mix in the motor. Not good.

A lot of the concentration issue is the type of cell you have. You definitely need to back off a lot!

precaster1@msn.com
07-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys, I'm off and runnin now.

computerclinic
07-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Lye will not boil off with the water. It will sit in the container, but the water will travel.