PDA

View Full Version : a solution to the ecu problem

fixityourslfer
04-28-2010, 11:15 AM
we are all aware that the ecu is a major problem for someone trying to have a vehicle that gets healthy mileage. when we add our hho equipment, some of us get medium gains for a while, some get small gains, or even big ones till the ecu says "now im gonna show u who is boss" and no more gains.

so i'm wondering...

now this may NOT be for everyone, but i realized there are many low-mileage vehicles for sale on ebay from the 80's that are carb'd. isn't it possible to disable the electronics on those vehicles, and physically gain access to the carburetor jets?
2. if this does not work, there are low-mileage vehicles available on ebay from the '70s that have no electronics. many have a/c and are in very nice shape. no electronics. just plain old carb.
wouldn't the biggest and most permenant gains come on these type of vehicles?

RustyLugNut
04-28-2010, 01:33 PM
we are all aware that the ecu is a major problem for someone trying to have a vehicle that gets healthy mileage. when we add our hho equipment, some of us get medium gains for a while, some get small gains, or even big ones till the ecu says "now im gonna show u who is boss" and no more gains.

so i'm wondering...

now this may NOT be for everyone, but i realized there are many low-mileage vehicles for sale on ebay from the 80's that are carb'd. isn't it possible to disable the electronics on those vehicles, and physically gain access to the carburetor jets?
2. if this does not work, there are low-mileage vehicles available on ebay from the '70s that have no electronics. many have a/c and are in very nice shape. no electronics. just plain old carb.

Your logic is impeccable and should be pursued.

rcflyn
04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
And, don't for get the "DIESELS" out there. I can't vouch for them yet, but will soon do an install on an 85 BMW 524td, 2.4L I 6 Turbo Diesel. Diesels come in Cars too.
BUT, from what I've gathered, Diesels Like HHO More so than Gas Engines.

cabrera
04-29-2010, 07:07 AM

so i'm wondering...

A carbureted pre ECU car is definitely the simplest HHO conversion. My previous installation was on a 1974 VW Beetle. No computer, no O2 sensors, o fuel injectors...just an enjine & a carb. The car consistently did an average of 23 mpg. With a wet cell, a bubbler, and a flashback protector ported to the low vacuum inlet in the intake manifold just under the carb, my mileage increased to over 30. The downside is driving a 35 year old car is impractical for day to day activity. So we push on to "control" the ever irritating ECU in today's cars.
RC makes an excellent point, diesel cars. If I were to do a diesel I would look for a 70's Mercedes Benz. If there are any cars on the road that can be used as daily drivers it a Benz. I had a 1964 220Seb which drove better & more comfortable than my new (at the time 1986 Olds 98).
So it's not a matter of proving HHO works, it's a matter of what you will use the application for.
Good luck

whynotthinkwhynot
05-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah, and diesels too, although IMO no diesel should be without a turbo. Non-turbo diesels are horrible at acceleration, and you'll miss your gas car no matter how conservative of a driver you are. With an old diesel, you can also experiment with manufacturing your own fuel- so more of a bonus!!

On a side note, don't get too old. Safety is greatly improved in newer vehicles. Yeah the old cars were harder steel, but that just transfers more of the impact to the driver. If you go back to the 60's, you run into things like 4 wheel drum brakes, metal interior hardware (window cranks that rip your arm apart), and my favorite- the non-collapsible steering column that will put a hole the size of a beer can through you in an offset collision. In the 70's, do your research on disc brake designs so you can find that that you can readily and cheaply purchase parts like calipers for. There was a lot of experimentation, and some horrible failures during this time. It would be good to familiarize yourself before purchasing because you'll be able to spot vehicles that have already had conversions done to the front brakes allowing later model braking like from the 80's or late 70's after it was figured out.

peteg
06-20-2010, 02:58 AM
Hi'
A simple way to boost o2 sensor voltage would be to use a 1.5 volt AA battery. A 10k resistor and 5k pot in series with the battery. battery - to outer leg of pot, center and other outer leg tied together to the 10k, 10k to switch, switch to bat. + . O2 sig. to bat. - . Output would be connection
pt. Btw. pot and 10k resistor. This would give btw. 0 and .5+ volts to the o2 signal to the ecm. The battery draw max is 1.5milliamp. 1.5v / 1000ohms =
1.5miliamp
Typical aa alkiline capacity is 1700 to 2500 milliamp hour.so you could
run it for over 100 hours at least.
Worth a thought.
thanks, Pete.

yellowsnow
03-09-2011, 06:44 PM
For around $250 you can have full control of every aspect of your fuel injectors,fuel mixture, and timing.

http://www.megasquirt.info/

this link makes it sound really complicated, but basically you install it and hook it to a laptop and can control everything, or buy the add on controller to control it from the car.

charliebrumfield
03-09-2011, 07:35 PM
For around $250 you can have full control of every aspect of your fuel injectors,fuel mixture, and timing.

http://www.megasquirt.info/

this link makes it sound really complicated, but basically you install it and hook it to a laptop and can control everything, or buy the add on controller to control it from the car.

bingo! we have a winner! or get one of the myriad of piggy back system that are designed to work with the stock ecu. make the ecu work with you not against you.

myoldyourgold
03-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Yellowsnow (that name bothers me but that's off topic) have you had any first hand experience with the Mega Squirt or know some one that has. I was told it is geared to racing and not to lean burn scenarios. I could be wrong but would like first hand confirmation on that. Thank you Sir.

charliebrumfield
03-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Yellowsnow (that name bothers me but that's off topic) have you had any first hand experience with the Mega Squirt or know some one that has. I was told it is geared to racing and not to lean burn scenarios. I could be wrong but would like first hand confirmation on that. Thank you Sir.

megasquirt will do what ever you can come up with. it's one of the best systems on the market. you're best bet is to take it to a dyno shop and have them set the tune on the car to run as lean as possible and not get detonation. however it will be tricky since as of yet no one has linked the pwm to the motor/ecu. to really see results you will need to have the pwm scale power off of the reactor to what the motor is requiring since you can use more hho at higher throttle applications and scale back demand on the alternator at idle or part throttle periods.

ValerianTs
06-12-2011, 02:11 PM
hmm... a cheaper option http://www.greenfuelh2o.com/product_p/dual%20map.htm

Grandpa's Speedshop
06-12-2011, 05:56 PM
megasquirt will do what ever you can come up with. it's one of the best systems on the market. you're best bet is to take it to a dyno shop and have them set the tune on the car to run as lean as possible and not get detonation. however it will be tricky since as of yet no one has linked the pwm to the motor/ecu. to really see results you will need to have the pwm scale power off of the reactor to what the motor is requiring since you can use more hho at higher throttle applications and scale back demand on the alternator at idle or part throttle periods.
:eek: Had a Thought! Maybe the pwm could be regulated the same way the TPS sensor works. Need a throttle linkage hookup and it would increase and decrease as you apply your throttle.:rolleyes: Just a thought.;)

koya1893
06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
:eek: Had a Thought! Maybe the pwm could be regulated the same way the TPS sensor works. Need a throttle linkage hookup and it would increase and decrease as you apply your throttle.:rolleyes: Just a thought.;)

Grandpa,

That works as far as regulating the power to the cell, during idle or at a stop sign minimal amps to the cell as you accel, yes the amps increase. Hence the lpm should increas. It does nothing to fooll the ECU. The Mega Squirt and APX AFC are probably the only thing out in the market with the capability to set multiple point for when the system is lean or rich (controlling the O2 signal) At least that's my understanding. Thus far, the best route I've seen 20-35% increase is the used of an EFIE. One things to note is, most Imports are already running lean from the factory, hence when you set the initial setting as suggested from the vendor (Fuel Saver) you might have to set it richer than recommended.

The Infiniti I worked with had a narrow band O2, the initial recommended mv was 350mv. I got a code and poor mileage which made me re-think things and took a chance on setting it much higher 385mv, CEL has not come on and 25% gain was experienced.

Now some older Ford and Chevy I've worked with likes it lean on initial setting, 350mv was not lean enough, 300mv yeild 25% on the F-150's with the 4.6. Having said not eveyone car or truck will respons the same way. For example two identical F-150 the same 4.6l, one set at the 300mv no CEL and 25% gain, the other F-150 same eng 300mv was too lean, had to set it at 385mv.