PDA

View Full Version : My first cell!..

gmcain09
05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey guys, im completely new to this so try to keep in mind im still a newbie at this :-) I am thinking about having an 8 plate cell, what would you guys recommend for my plate configuation?? Oh and also (kind of embarrassed to ask) what is a wet and a dry cell??
Thanks!!

lhazleton
05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
You'll need to do lots of research before getting into this. A 'wet cell' reactor is where the plates are submerged in an open bath container of electrolyte. These will work, but are very inefficient. A 'dry cell' reactor is a series of plates that contain the electrolyte within the cells. No mason jars or any of that crapola.
As far as 8 plates, I'm assuming that's what you have. What size are they?
The only thing you would probably be able to build would be: Use 7 of them as follows - 1 anode, 1 cathode and 5 bi-polar plates (-NNNNN+). This will make a 6 cell reactor. You could go with 7 cells, 8 plates (-NNNNNN+), but I wouldn't recommend this until you know more about what you're doing.
Without more details, it's impossible to help.
Good luck & keep us posted!
Lee

gmcain09
05-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Thank you very much lhazleton! I definitely will be doing my research, and I will keep you guys updated on the cell. I decided to go with a wet cell for my first project just to get a feel for it, and after I get some experience I will migrate towards dry cells...
Thanks!
Mike

Drafty-01
05-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Hi Mike,

I find it really pays to read up quite a bit a do "research" that way.

Initially, I was going to make a system like a smack cell, as they're pretty simple, but then thought about the efficiency increase with a dry cell. It's probably not a lot more complex to make, and can be expanded on as well if you find that it's not big enough.
I also had a problem finding 3/8" hose barb fittings where I live (New Zealand), and could only get 316 stainless ones. They're cheaper than I thought they'd be too!
Not finished yet though as I can't seem to get the time and all of the parts I need to.

Cheers,
Martin.

gmcain09
05-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Hey Martain,
Thanks for the good ideas, I think im going to go with maybe a smack design myself and see how it goes. If I drill the holes in the right places I think I will be able to convert it to a dry cell when I want to switch over. I have a quick question, I am going to use a 9 place cell, but my stell sheet is pretty thick.. Not really sure on what gauge it is but its pretty hefty. Is this bad? will it draw too many amps or is that not an issue with gauge? Oh the 9 plates are going to be somewhere around 6in. x 2.5in.

gmcain09
05-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Martin,
Good luck with your cell btw! And keep us updated on how you are doing.
Mike